Friday, April 2, 2021

An April Fools Surprise...

Lately I'm lacking motivation.  Don't ask me why because I'm not sure.  I have the desire but the follow through is just blah.  Im still trying tho, not throwing in the towel just yet.  

Brown Headed Nuthatch check out a possible nest hole 

Some weather issues, wind, rain, hot, cold, storms, humid can't even breath humid, pollen 2 inches thick...just to name a few...and every now n then the SUN shines...but the wind still blows...Today was one of those sun shine windy days.. 


Male 

 I had not been to Sandhills in a while  it's kinda my local but a little far it's in the 20 mile radius.  Today the wind was on and off, ...my coat kept going on and off  and eventually  I even had to add a warm hat to the mix...

and his mate the female Eastern Bluebird 

I got very few photos this week ...the wind was a huge factor.  I wanted to share some of the AMATUER video I was able to get of some unique natural behaviors...

Like this Loggerhead Shrike, he has impaled a grub on a twig of a sapling...he tugs and it comes loose so he reattaches it, I tried to slow it down to help with wind movement  so you can see how he works to get the grub attached again so he can rip pieces off..





 sorry for the movement and sound real life is kinda like that...


When  he saw me, he flew to a tree to wait till I left so I snapped this photo before moving on...Big Juicy Grub. 

This was up on Mary's Hill...they recently burned the area 



I found an old antler, the tips had burned off...






...the birds are  pairing up and getting on with life they are motivated.  Had two Osprey pairs, and they were doing the same thing.  I suspect the female was stationed at a tree while the Male was out hunting, making circles diving and such...was it a show? I can't tell if he got a fish or not but he flew off, didn't take anything to the female,  Normally they lay eggs in April I must check the 3 ponds that I know Osprey nest in...maybe on my next trip over. OH yeah it's April already.

P1240256 slo
Play

Here is the waiting female...I saw the exact same behavior in a second pair later on.  I think I was more impressed than she was...



Then I stopped to have a spot of lunch at the boat ramp of this pond. 


After eating I put on my coat, and hat and took a walk around the lake, on this fisherman's path...It does not go all the way around the pond as it gets very dense and soggy but it goes about 1/2 of a mile or more round trip. 


This is where I watched the Osprey show from....so once he left I kept walking and then I saw some movement in a back cove of the pond.  At first I didn't know what I was looking at them BAM it hit me, A BEAVER a real live BEAVER was sitting on a sandbar grooming,  


I don't know if it's a she or a he


Then it went  swimming and eating some snacks out of the water, looked like the root ends of lily pads...









This sighting really made my day worthwhile...and was a good shot in the arm. 


This old lodge has been in this pond forever, but I thought it was not being used...


But the Beaver swam over this way and I lost track of it as I walked back so I think he went to take a snooze in the lodge...!!

time to walk back


Finally got my first shot appointment, on the 28th of April.



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

19 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I love the Brown-headed Nuthatches and the Bluebirds. Awesome video with the beaver, we hear them slapping their tails at us. The Osprey and slug was cool too. Great post. I go today for my first shot. Take care, have a great weekend! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen, The nuthatches were so cut all fluttering around together, I one went into the hole,,one was peeking in and the other was needing a full report...lol it was so comical. I am so happy to finally find an alive beaver!! Have a great weekend. Hope your shot went well...

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to see the beaver and the Shrike, the "butcher bird".
    I think the lack of motivation is due to being confined to home, we just get out of the "habit" of doing things. I'm sure it will come back and then you will find that you haven't got time to fit everything in.

    From the 12 April we can go and see the grand kids, looking forward to that as it's been a long time.
    Have a good Easter weekend. Typically the weather here has become colder and in some areas snow is forecast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dave and thank you..yes the butcher bird in action...I do wish it had not been so windy I could have gotten some great footage, but you gotta get it when offered...and as I advanced to try to get closer and better footage he flew off that perch. I hope you get to see the grands soon...IM trying to get my bicycle in ridable shape so today Im going to check Walmart, it maybe cheaper to buy a new bike...I thought I had a 7 speed bike, it's 21 speed...and it's a boys bike, I'd rather have a girls bike. Cause it's hard to throw my leg over Hope your weekend is a good one.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes it can be cheaper to get a new bike. Have a good check of the components on the bike and check on their quality. Sometimes buying a good used bike is an alternative.
      Throwing a leg over the bike gets harder with age. I now have to tilt my bike at an angle when mounting.

      Delete
    3. Hi Dave, I found the tires n tubes, and did price the new bikes, too expensive for me, so I went the cheap route since its not like Im going to go on long rides, a mile or 2 at most and on level ground...I am doing the tilt thing and I lowered the seat a little...that helped but I am going to keep my eye out for a girls bike at yard sales when people begin having them again. Thanks for the tips. :0)

      Delete
  3. The brown headed nuthatchers, well all nut hathatchers are so adorable and the blue birds are great also. For some reason I was always drawn to the Ospray I could sit and watch them for hours up in the mountain lakes. The beaver was a huge one! You got some great footage of him/her. You found a great place to have lunch.

    Wind here is still terrible and the temps are on the rise. Glad you are finally going to get your shot, hope it is the Johnson n Johnson so you can be done then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I was happy to find that Beaver it is very big the tail was at least 2 ft long, maybe more. I wish I was getting the one shot dose, but as far as I know it's going to be the Pfizer one. Thats what the website said where I signed up. SO that means I have to around for the follow up 3 weeks later.
      Hope you have a good Easter if you're celebrating.

      Delete
  4. Pfizer is what I got. I'm not doing anything tomorrow. Hope we can escape the wind I would love to BBQ a steak and grill some veggies, its been a long time. Hope you have a great Easter if you're celebrating

    ReplyDelete
  5. That shrike is just crazy to watcH! I saw a beaver dam on my long walk last week. But no beavers. And not nearly the birds, they are there I just don’t get pictures. But it was a lovely day with no wind, so I guess i

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, looks like you comment got chopped off at the end, but I agree no wind is a good thing. I think maybe beaver are sneaky I know this one saw me, but he just ignored me and went about his business...I watched him till he swam out of sight...Have a great week.

      Delete
  6. April already! I find this year is going quickly.
    I enjoyed your photographs and pleased to read that your first vaccination will be on the 28th of April.

    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jan, this year is blazing fast so it seems. I want to get the vacination thing behind me...just hope it solves our problem.

      Delete
  7. Oh how brilliant to see the Beaver, what a treat and very good to know at least one is around! A sighting like that is definitely a tonic isn't it. I've yet to see a Shrike, it's great to see their behaviour. We've had strong winds here for days and it's been bitterly cold but very sunny! Bring on spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled to know there is one and he should be protected since he is in A National Wildlife Refuge, but they allow small game hunting there. I've only ever seen Deer hunters and that has a season.

      Delete
  8. Fire Up My Dear - Lets Make This A Stunning Weekend - Dig That Heart Photo - Sending Vibes And A Swift Kick

    OxoxoxO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Travis, I do need a stunning weekend to help me get rid of the blahs...I have a very important anniversary coming up and it's not a good thing...I think it's gonna hurt.

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh a beautiful place and I am in awe of the beaver . And your video. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!