Sunday, March 1, 2020

Alone Again, naturally...

 I'm Home Alone...


 Well almost!  Just me and 7 of my closest friends...3 grouped up for photos..





After 4 days of drizzle, the sun came out!   

 
       
 the path has returned along the banks of Twenty Five Mile creek
               the flooding situation receding...
 


I think it's down by about 5 ft? This is the top of the sign from last visit, and the sign now...
        
    

Funny how I never really wanted a cell phone now I feel lost without one...
I broke my phone this week...Blame Murphy! Murphy Gas that is, I was trying to download the APP so I can save a few cents per gallon, in that process long story short my phone was destroyed so I'm waiting on a replacement and Im already fretting about how hard it will be to get it up to snuff! OMG not looking forward to that.  Can you recite anyone's phone number? I can't!! But I used to have them all stored right in my hippocampus. 



I hope this is the last load of firewood I have to split...IM really tired of it at
this point..urggg. 


 Friday, I went to check on the Wisacky Beaver Dam 




 Y'all know I have a vested interest in this particular dam, and all looks good.  It was a cold blustery day a few birds were around... enough to make me smile!  This little Song Sparrow  was standing right on the dam...



I scared a couple of wood ducks upon my arrival all I heard was them leaving in one great swoosh of wings beating on water...The road going up to the cemetery, Broad Branch Cemetery is right by this wetland that's how we found this spot...we photo'd that cemetery last spring if you recall the one where the snake came out from under the stone?  I spun through the 2 big mud slops that seem to never go away and found a dry place to park and do a little exploring..


This view of the pond is from the side that borders the cemetery...I walked down, the bank is pretty overgrown lots of brier, and such...


I'm happy for that, no good for fishing off this bank...so better for the environment to keep fishermen and the trash and line they leave behind ,OUT; I wish I could slip a kayak in and paddle up stream tho...

Think I found a beaver slide area...this spot...not only is it in use, there's evidence of active cutting taking place for dam material..




Very happy I explored because when I checked the Eagle nest from this vantage point I found it occupied!  THRILLED ME. 



last year this nest fledged 2 chicks if you recall my visits to it...  (postings by month/year on right side bar)

I checked found nothing in January, so maybe they were a little late getting some eggs laid or I just didn't see them.   But I def saw one chick's face  poking up from the nest today in this shot..and the adult was feeding a fish..


And from another angle...


The dirt road takes you through the cemetery and out to another black top that straddles this wetland...and on the opposite side I disturbed the nesting of a Red Shouldered Hawk...



A little video of the ruckus...I didn't hang around cause I didn't want to upset the family more than I already had I wouldn't have even known the nest was there if the bird hadn't started screeching.




Before I left I scanned beyond the trees and I think I have spotted the Beaver Lodge,,,he/she is pretty far away from the dam, and is in a protected area opposite the highway...hope you can make it out in this shot...look beyond the scrubby stuff that is in the foreground...it's big!


Now I know where to scan for the beaver! But unfortunately there is a house almost directly across the road from this vantage point up on a hill...I hope they are clueless about the beaver.  Most people seem to be clueless about wildlife right in their own backyard.


Saw other birds around, and another big flock of Red-Winged Blackbirds in the field, the wild mustard plants are starting to bloom, so pretty! 

And on the way home the Timber Creek Wild Turkey flock is back together again!  There was about 30 of them scattered around this field...and I found one hole in he trees to get a look through at some of them...



This day started out being a sad and lonely day where I was missing all my loved ones...I'm so glad I decided to go to Lee County and found some special friends to help me get through it.



 PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

15 comments:

  1. Hello, I am glad you met some special friends to help you through the day. I love the deer, eagle's nest shots and the turkeys. Cool hawk video. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen! I had such a great visit to Lee County it was bittersweet as each time I have viewed that Eagle nest before mom was along for the ride...It did my heart good to see things do continue even when you think all is lost.

      Delete
  2. You have such sweet wildlife in your “backyard”...or I guess “your patch” would really be the right way to put it! I’m glad the water is receding and hope that stuff is over for the season. I dropped my phone into the river a couple of years ago and the Verizon Store was able to re-create my contact list on the replacement even without having the old phone! Not sure what that says about our privacy , but I was *so* glad not to have to do all that again that I didn’t care. .... that is an impressive lot of wood you’ve split. Hope it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, thanks for your comment...I am a very fortunate person to have so much nature right here in my own little space it def gives me the peace and connection I need to feel good about life in general. I have not received my new phone yet, so I hope it comes today or tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic day, the deer right in your yard then all the wild life at the ponds. The eagle nest is so exciting and then the hawk getting annoyed with you great piece of video there. The river sure has gone down now if it can dry up some and no more rain I be you'll find so much more to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jo! We have about 3 inches of rain predicted over the next 3 days starting tonight...We sure don't need any right now! Wish I had a water collection system here on my place I'd never have to pay for water again!

      Delete
  4. Nature is such a good way to help with a persons well being isn't it! Fantastic to spot signs on the Beavers, hopefully the people nearby will leave them to it. Great to see the nests and chicks already. Mostly it's still a little early here for chicks though a Mistle Thrush decided to nest on a traffic light in the centre of town last month and successfully fledged chicks last week!! https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/24/endangered-birds-make-nest-city-centre-traffic-light-12292955/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Pam...how true your words are...I was so happy to see the
      Eagle chick in my photo...The nest is so far away I had not seen it with my eyes or binoculars...I knew the adult had a fish and appeared to be feeding but the confirmation of the photo was wonderful. OH MY what a dangerous place for a nest, the stop light in the middle of town! I have to go take a look at your link!

      Delete
  5. A friend of mine lives, alone. He has never married, in fact as far as I know has never had a relationship. He says that loneliness weighs on him the odd time, but nature has always been the force to recharge. The worst is when he gets sick and there is no one to take care of him or even offer a few words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, most of my life has been filled with family and obligations to such and in my younger time I did lots of volunteer work, and had friends and was in leagues and clubs and it wore me out quite frankly...Now it's all changed and I am adapting. I think I have some decisions to make.

      Delete
  6. Such Happy Little Creatures - Thanx For Sharing

    Stay Strong,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Travis, I am getting stronger every day and I realize there is only one way to cross the stream and that is carefully and with intent.

      Delete
  7. I once went on a cycling holiday to France on my own and came away saying I would never do it again. Whilst I enjoyed the riding, not having a companion to share and chat about the day or the views etc was awful. I can cope with a short term of being alone , in fact thats nice, but then I want human company to discuss things.

    I think your group of turkeys probably sums me up.!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, yes it's good to have someone to wrap up the day with, and keep us on our toes, I fall between the cracks pretty easy.

      Delete
  8. How smart of you to take yourself on a little outing. Being out in nature fills many gaps!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!