Friday, January 26, 2018

Unwound




The weather remains mostly cold, but no snow lately and the sun is out so I really should not complain eh?  It's been a long time since I drove out to Carolina Sandhills NWR, it's about a 20 mi drive for me.  I finally went into the new Headquarters building and got a passport stamp from them! I was the first one of the year to ask for their stamp! The lady who helped me told me their stamp year only went to 2017 so she had to write in the year for me.  So it may end up being one of a kind as she is checking for a new Year wheel for the ink stamper so if she gets it before anyone asks for a stamp I have a Rare Stamping!

I didn't see a whole lot on this day but I had a great day! I did find about 120 in total Canada Geese in 3 different bodies of water. Most of the geese were in Martin's Lake, at the very back where the water is shallow. 



There was room for more, 



...a few Mallards (about 30 in total) were in the mix along with way in back at least one pair of Wood Duck.  I really need a scope! The birds were way OUT there...I drove up alongside that narrow spot where the shore comes in.  There is a photo blind, but I didn't think I had enough daylight left to hike to the blind...and back!  Usually Mom is with me and with her handicap pass we can drive right up the blind.  


A lot of Song Sparrows on the ground this was through the windshield.




Also had some Swamp, and Savannah Sparrow, Eastern Bluebird, American Kestrel, Turkey Vulture, Hermit Thrush, Brown Thrasher, and one Northern Harrier.  Back at HQ they told me they had a Golden Eagle here this past summer,  why didn't I hear about that...OH yeah I was in Colorado! Duh. 


I had the whole place to myself, I love that, when I can stop in the middle of the road and just walk away from my van and not even close the door! This is what I call unwinding!
I got a late start and the light vanished pretty fast..


I was far off the main refuge road so I headed out to get back home before dark thirty I had to bring wood in for the nightly fire...and feed my dogs of course.
And even tho my sightings list was small I really enjoyed the easy slow pace of this visit to the refuge. 


I want to make another trip soon and get there early and try for some better sparrow looking...there is a Le Conte's on the rare bird list not far away but it's on Private Land...Some sort of a sand and gravel place, the submitter's had permission to trespass to see the bird.  I got something cool in my little piece of the world...Recall me telling y'all I had been hearing an Eastern Screech Owl...in the yard and I did a cavity search....well today the other birds in the yard alerted me to his location!  




Well hellooooo there.  Owls have used this tree before for roosting, the camo is excellent!  My Camera is getting so funky now it doesn't want to focus on digital zooms, so these are not up close...you see him/her?

Those eyes are so intense and yellow!



I see red and grey...but I think there is enough red to call it a red phase...unless I see the rest of the body and it is all grey.  I knew I wasn't hearing things so I'm glad to get this confirmation! And I hope he hangs around...the feeder birds were very upset so they may not allow him to be this close to them and the feeder area.  He is literally 10 ft from the house, in the front yard. 


Totally thrilled about it!  
I went in search of a new thermostat for my dryer in town...the repair guy said it's $40! WHAT? It's a tiny little thing about the size of a man's watch dial...I found one on ebay for $13.00 free shipping.  Maybe I can reassemble the dryer soon! If you need to take your's apart just look it up on You Tube, was easy to take apart!
I am painting it too....so hopefully I will do a blog about this soon...another thing I finally finished is putting up the remaining rails on the deck!  I just need to trim off those 3 ends. 


Can you believe Casey jumped off this deck? OMG And Flossy nearly rolled off...so now hopefully it will be safe for dog use. 



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

18 comments:

  1. Great day trip. But OH the Owl, what great shots you were able to get. I understand the birds not being happy with his visit. The deck is looking good to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Jo! I noticed a squirrel outside the tree cavity this morning, but he didn't go inside...so I hope that means it's occupied!

      Delete
  2. Thats great to have the owl so close. The camouflage is perfect. The decking looks good too. Yes its good to support your local reserves. We have the Garden Bird watch this weekend. You have to record over an hour the species that visit you garden and then send the findings off to the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. I wrote it out in full in case you weren't familiar with the abbreviation and its a bugbear of mine were someone using initials in an article and then dont explain.
    I must post some pictures with my new camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The RSPB garden watch is a great opportunity to try out your camera...Birds are not easy because they're moving most of the time. I am excited to see what you come up with, like a new window on life is opening up before your very eyes! And about the abbreviations...the ABA (American Birding Assc.) now has abbreviations for bird names. Like this Eastern Screech Owl is EASO. They take the first letters of the name, but it's confusing so I keep a copy on my desktop for reference.

      Delete
  3. Hello, looks like a nice refuge and outing. I love all the geese, ducks and sparrow. The water views are pretty. My favorite is your Screech Owl, that is awesome. Your deck looks nice, we need to re-do our deck, it is old. Enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen...the very next day after I was there a report of 2 Red Cockaded Woodpeckers right at the Headquarters building came in, I checked many of the trees they have banded as nest sites and got nada but didn't check by the HQ. I have seen the Red Cockaded before but never got a photo of one.
      I rebuilt this deck not long ago but was slacking on putting the rails back up, It is small not like your really awesome big deck.

      Delete
  4. Your very own Screech Owl? How exciting! What a lovely day trip you had, such calming pictures to view first thing in the morning. Helps to set the day's pace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, is he/she not the cutest ever? Thanks for your encouragement and kindness.

      Delete
  5. Nice work on the 'doggy playpen' -- it really looks professional. I can't believe how lucky you are to have your own owl! Hope he stays. And that was such a great outing. That golden toned picture with the two geese is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie! I keep saying to myself "dogs are stupid", since I live with 3 of them I did not come to this conclusion lightly...lol. Yep Flossy was joining me one morning on the deck and she just rolled over good thing the shrubs caught her or she'd have fallen about 4 ft! And the nut Casey just stood there then took off like a bird in flight and sailed over the edge I was screaming NOOOOOOoooooo thankfully he landed unscathed but I wanted to wring his neck for scaring me. I had no idea he would try such a stunt he is 10 inches tall he jumped 4 ft!!
      Those geese were well hidden in those stumps, I had to back up cause I went by slowly looking then my brain said "wait a minute" backed up there they were standing in gold!

      Delete
  6. How fantastic to have the owl so close, what a great looking bird too. It looks like you had a good day out, it's lovely to have the peace and quiet isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a sweet day of finding the owl right in the yard after looking around for him for a few weeks now. He got harrassed pretty hard by the yards birds so haven't seen him since that day.

      Delete
  7. Awww a yard screech-owl is a dream come true! I hope it finds a mate and sticks around :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nesting would be sweet!! I'm going to keep my eyes and ears peeled!

      Delete
  8. Any experience with an owl can turn a mundane day, even a crappy day into a wonderful day. Your pictures show how well these little owls camouflage even when sitting at the edge of their hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI David! The camo on the bird is amazing, no wonder they're so hard to spot!

      Delete
  9. That owl is so camouflaged. What a great discovery! Thanks for your blog visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, it would be very easy to look right at him and not see him! Thank you for your comment!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!