Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Mountains to the Prairies

June 2nd

The Poudre River is such a wonderful part of the landscape in this area of Hwy 14, all the way to Fort Collins.  Cache la Poudre means "hide the powder"! I know weird but it's all connected to an incident of 1820 when French Trappers were caught by a snowstorm and forced to bury part of their gunpowder along the river banks..strange right! 



In one area the canyon walls come in close and it is really an awesome drive...probably about 10 miles with the walls close in, this section is called Poudre Canyon Road. 







The roar of the water is amazing as it gallops toward the South Platte.   This river has its origins in the Northern parts of Rocky Mtn' National Park! If you recall when I was there last year I pointed it out down in the valley below.  So you can google it up if want to know more!  One thing I will say there are some fantastic campgrounds along  this route and I chose to stop at Kelly Flats. I got a great spot right by the river. If  you follow that link to our campground location you will see as you move along the highway many campgrounds and trust me they were all practically full.  So get in early or you won't get a spot. 


Site #8...We got in early the sun was still strong, so I put up my canopy...helped to create some shade...and once the sun set it cooled down to where I needed to be in my sleeping bag with my quilt on top of that too. 



I wanted to have a nap with the cool breeze coming through the van, the sound of the Poudre tumbling by, but that never happened...too many camp chores to do with the dogs there is very little time just to sit and do nothing, One is getting tangled up on their tether, one wants water,. while one is barking at the voices coming from the closest camp...it's a 3 dog circus!

The river was right behind the van...


 I put my chair in the shade and did a little journal writing and had a cool drink, while I watched the river roll by....I filled my all purpose bucket with cold river water and sunk my bottle of Black Tea in it to chill... my reward for the day. Later I dunked my head in that same bucket of water and shampooed my hair! It was COLD.  I can heat the water right on my stove in the bucket if I want but I enjoyed the shock!!

Not long after sitting down I had a Lazuli Bunting land on a branch right by the water... too slow I didn't get outta my chair in time to get a photo..then this Cordilleran Flycatcher came by with some nesting material in his/her mouth






It was a very peaceful campsite, sort of tucked away from the main campground the last one before the tent walk in sites, and the sign said no RV 's or Trailers beyond this point, so no generators! Yippee.  It was perfect for me $11 with my seniors pass,  I thought of staying an extra day but I was eager to keep moving...so after breakfast and a long dog walk we broke camp and skedaddled. 





Not long after we left found this side road, I spotted some flowers, a little tributary flowed here more of a creek, and above in the tall trees I heard this Warbling Vireo.  





There was another bird something large and yellow but I missed it, never got my entire eyes on it...Back on Hwy 14 we passed one of those areas where rafting is do-able...


I will never forget the time my sis and I went rafting in the Colorado River in Glenwood Springs...sooo  thrilling.  Before you can count to 10 I was close to Fort Collins and my next planned stop...then WHAM look at the sign. 


Soapstone Prairie Natural Area...South to hwy 287 to Hwy 1 N,  then 15 N Rawhide Flats rd....Dogs not allowed and in the hand out at the Kiosk, it says Dogs not allowed even IN THE CAR! So dang-it.   




But the approach road was quite long like 7 miles or so.  I came up here hoping for Chestnut Collared Longspurs.  And they were there but not one showed himself, all heard only I played my phone app call and song,  and they answered so I know they were they but I don't count heard only for the first sighting...but lets see what did show up along the fence line!

Blue Grosbeak 




More Pronghorn Antelope




And there's an established Buffalo herd...





Aspen Daisy thrives on the prairie...










Vesper Sparrow
(white eye ring, streaked head & chest, white throat, rufous shoulder patches)


Lark Bunting



And tons of the buzzy grasshopper sparrows...


This morning dove had a great view from her barbed wire perch. 


Some type of Vetch?




The road is a bit dusty and bumpy. 


Lots of Horned and Meadowlark  




Once we got to the Entry Booth I told the nice lady I had to turn around and she felt sorry for me, but not enough to let me sneak in with my pack of canines ...so we headed back down the bumpy road and eventually back south the way we had come and turned East on CR 100 to the community of Nunn, then south on Hwy 85 to Pierce and picked up Hwy 14 East again to the town of Briggsdale, and North on 77, to: 


Where we found a campsite for the evening, in the Pawnee National Grasslands.   We arrived sort of late in the day so it was dog walks, dinner, and then off to sleep...got up bright and early and did the same dog walks, breakfast and had coffee by the rising sun..






Everyone began to stir. Annie sure wanted to chase this guy...we had a little disagreement about it.  


Morning Dew...




After we packed up we headed right up to the Auto Tour route of the Grassland. 




Up Next!


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. Hello, wonderful variety of birds. I would like to see the Lark Bunting. The antelope and bunny are cute critters. Gorgeous wildflowers. The auto tour of the Grassland sounds interesting. Great post and photos. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lark Bunting were plentiful so I'd say it's a dependable species here at this time of year. I was glad I left early for the Auto Loop Tour it was pretty far all in all I'd say it was about 20 miles! And one wants to only barely cruise so as not to miss anything...I was finished about noon and it was really heating up.

      Delete
  2. Brings back great memories of a trip I took through this area several years ago. Great birding territory to be sure. And I didn’t have three dogs to look after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs are are def not the best of traveling companions, but until I can find someone I trust to take good care of them they have no choice but to tag along.

      Delete
  3. Oh so beautiful and green. The first part going up along the rock walls reminds me of the road from a little town of Winkelman to Globe, AZ on the way to Show Low. Made me want to jump in the truck and go. All the wonderful birds and the buffalo, antelope. And the camping spot I would have had to stay longer but when you have to keep going you have to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the prefect campsite for sure...there was a guy in the closest site to me...lots of bushes between us, and the road, who was a bit strange when he walked his dog, some sort of Spaniel, he dressed in knee high leather boots, and khaki cotton shirt with matching cargo shorts and a funny little Scottish looking beret. He carried this odd looking goat hide water bottle. His tent was an A frame type like the old school type...I know If I had stayed around I'd have had to go over and get his story!!

      Delete
  4. A shame you couldn't go further even with the dogs in the van! The Grosbeak has great markings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I thought that was a little extreme.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful countryside. I wonder what was the reason behind banning dogs? Those bird song apps are great and can often get you a sighting that you may have missed. Its a great trip and thanks again for the road descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was about to ask the lady that but someone pulled up behind me so I had to move forward, and many cyclists were there riding the trails, and even horses are allowed on the trails so I can't figure out the dogs part unless people were letting dogs run amuck and they chased the Buffalo?

      Delete
  6. Great sightings and pictures and it is such different country~ i missed this post earlier and am so glad i came back to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thanks for that...the grasslands are so important to many different species.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!