Friday, May 22, 2020

Lynches River County Park


So as promised the Lynches River County Park visit, I made this video to capture the moments.  It was a fun day!  I have one story to relate I witnessed a thrilling event I wish I had captured but I was too stunned to even turn the camera on...

...the Lynches River was pretty full and it had a good current going...People were out and about the visitors center was closed but the park trials, canopy walk, and boardwalk open.  Lots of couples had dogs and kids with them but I've noticed a trend, either  young couples have 3 or 4 kids or they have none and opt for a couple of dogs...This couple who ran down to the rivers edge had 2 dogs of mixed breed one black and one brown and white.  So they let the dogs off leash at the waters edge and tossed in a play toy...only the toy got caught by the current and the black dog Literally JUMPED 10 ft out into the river and was immediately caught in the current and swiftly being taken downstream.  

I was standing on the boardwalk watching all this unfold..the man came immediately out of his shoes and DOVE head-first into the river and swam out and caught his dog and pushed him to shore! It was an amazing feat of pure love and bravery!! I was worried that I may have to run down and perform CPR on the MAN! But he was okay I was pleased to hear when I asked, "sir are you ok?" "Yes, i think so," he replied. I then gave him thumbs up and said "great save." "Thank you"!

Anyways without further delay here is my experience...cooked down to 5:34. 



So I got my Florence county bird list and had a great day to boot...the canopy walk made me a bit dizzy and I couldn't do the whole thing I only did one section, my vertigo is easy to trigger so I didn't want that to happen! 

I made a couple longer birding trips and will try to capsulize those in my next couple posts.  Meanwhile a few still photos that didn't make the video...to round out this day trip..

Eastern Kingbird on a wire



Loggerhead Shrike

Red-Winged Blackbird




More tobacco road


Lynches River Scenes 




Young Carolina Wren 



Prothonotary Warbler


Have a great weekend!!  Another look at the Pileated chicks from last week...


Stellar moment for me..


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. What a great video! Your really good at this Sondra. The stills are also great. Glad your having such a great Spring and seeing all these gorgeous birds. Thank You for posting these wonderful trips your taking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, well I have been far only a couple hrs drive, but it has helps me to stay busy and not dwell on all the loss I've had lately...living in the moment is my saving grace.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Sondra

    I enjoyed the video, the canopy walk looks interesting. Wonderful bird sightings, the last shot of the Pileated chicks is great. I am glad the dog was rescued and everyone was safe. Take care, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen, that man didn't give it a second thought he drove right in...I was almost in tears...because Im a dog lover.

      Delete
  3. It's often interesting to see the plumage on young birds as it can differ a lot from their adult plumage. Our young robins look nothing like the adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true DAVE, I saw a bird on the ground had me stumped and I still don't know for sure what it was...Im gonna keep looking at that photo of him till I figure it out.

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, baby Pileateds! A sight to behold. I am feeling rather hemmed in at the moment and enjoyed your post and video very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, I was wondering if you got over the border before it closed. I lost track of your timing. Be safe.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a lovely spot to spend some time. The scene with the dog would have stressed me out but those baby pileateds calmed me right back down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite dramatic! The babies have fledged I wish I had seen them fly.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!