Friday, May 8, 2020

Bluff Unit Hike

It's getting harder and harder for me to keep my blog anywhere near current...I don't know exactly why.  I'm not as organized as I once was, I don't spend enough time preparing, I am tired from all the hiking  I do so  it means I fall asleep on the couch rather than organizing and sorting thru the many photos.  With all that said, as in my last post the, Vlog, I am doing more hiking and putting miles on my boots . 

This means you take what you get, and so mixed media helps me tell MY story of Santee Bluff Unit... another long day of hiking probably put in 6 miles that day and it was warm and a pretty stiff wind was with me most of the day.  Near the parking area I was overrun by warblers way up in the canopy.  Warblers discouraged me so much at one time I gave up birding for several years.  But this time around I'm not taking it personally.

Black-Throated Blue Warbler

Its one thing to just see what's right in front of your eyes it's another thing to get out in the forest, the woods, the fields and search for the hidden ones. Strolling along a paved trail is not normally where you find me.  Sometimes but rarely...Im out there in the mosquito infested swamps, the open sun bleached fields, and gator infested ponds.  I heard one lady was recently attacked when a gator  sneaked up on her!



If they come down to my level great if not there isn't much I can do about it.  I've tried to learn as many calls as I can but honestly sometimes they all sound alike!  Or maybe they're trying to talk with their mouths full?


BTBW 

And as you heard they are all calling at once it's very confusing...and lovely! I ate several of these they were delicious..along with some ripe Black Berries. 


So this hike starts out under the dense canopy then, it abruptly enters into a large open area.  This woodsy area has a lot of water and the birds like that.  

Even the Yellow Rumped Warbler Gets prettier about this time of year.


There is swamp too...I think these are Water Tupelo


You can get a feel for how thick the canopy is from this vantage point..

Female Northern Cardinal 

If you walk to the edge of the swamp along the boardwalk you get a view of the open water the cat tails and reeds line the edges...  

Double Crested Cormorant dries off



The water here is Brackish full of tannin from the various trees that live in the water and all the leaves they drop...


Painted Bunting 

At the edge of the forest right before it opens up is where you can find these Painted Buntings...and when the visitors center is open they visit the feeders.  Listen to his song in the video...and you can  hear another one answering on the other side of the tree line. I had trouble with Vimeo, so I hope this video shows up...



Then you enter the open sky area...and Bam there's a Red Shouldered Hawk sailing across the sky!



The sounds are amazing as I hear Eastern Meadowlark, Red Winged Black Bird, Prairie Warbler, and others singing loudly! 


I reach the open Photo Blind, and Im happy to have a spot to rest as I have come about 2 miles by this point...and I've driven 2 hrs to get here so time for a little rest some water and a snack. 


Right away I see the White form of the Little Blue Heron silently hunting in the reeds.  As well as the Blue form.




Blue Dragon 

And then out of no where comes this little American Coot, there's lots more on the back side of the water too...


This Green Heron didn't seem to mind me being close as long as I was quiet sometimes it's just the noise we make that puts Wildlife off...



The Great Blue Heron nest is overflowing with big lanky chicks, this is a little shakey as  you can hear the wind is quite strong and I'ts hand held, so Im not about to carry a tripod on a 6 mile hike.  Vimeo is starting to scream that I have to go pro so Im only allowed 2 uploads there this week.  Hope you can see these 2 big chicks all snuggled down in their nest. 


And it just is not SC if you don't see at least one Alligator, I saw way more than one this day..this one is quite large so probably quite old, and quite deadly for the unaware.  


and right after I snapped that photo this happened...


HE scared me to death he exploded into the water so fast I only saw the churning water. 

...and since this is a National Wildlife Refuge I had to wonder about this sign?


OKAY let me not get blown to bits I think someone has a very weird sense of humor. 


I continue on following one of the trails around the canals and marsh 


...and hear this really musical bird song, up high is an immature male Orchard Oriole...he has a bright yellow gold breast.  He is way up there!!



I come across this little Spotted Sandpiper, doing his runway style of walking 



ok, ah yeah more things to be leery of...and I'm always aware of where Im placing my foot I don't want to step on a rattle snake or a water moccasin or a  wasp nest or a fire ant hill....



way in the back too far away for a decent shot was some White and Glossy Ibis,



Then back into the grasses, I had Savannah Sparrow...



I will follow this maintenance road back.





The Eastern Meadowlark jumps  up out of the grass to see what I am doing...



there is this cute wildflower patch near the edge of the field...and this looks like California Poppies,



This is where I can find the Prairie Warbler on the edge of the woods, near the secondary growth..



And there is yet another boardwalk on the other section of the trail I take for my return hike through the swamp again.



A Black and White Warbler looks down on me 





And closer to the edge of the other side where it's more dry turkey oak I hear and find the elusive Ovenbird,,,






I did not pass one single person to have to back 6 ft away from this is the kind of day I love, just me out in nature living in the moment and enjoying myself.  Im happy to be able to share some of my experiences with others who may not get the chance to do this...but would like to.


The Ovenbird Sings for us....

Okay how many of you, show of hands, like me, who watch the hearing impaired professional who pantomimes the speeches being given by the Governor when he/she updates us on the CV-19?  I find myself not even listening to the governor speak, I'm just watching her and all the faces, and gestures, and movement she is relaying, it's really cool!!

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

14 comments:

  1. Great post.
    Such a good selection of photographs.

    Stay well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, hope you are doing well...I must pop over and see what you're up to.

      Delete
  2. WOW! love this to see so many Warbler and they are all so beautiful, the black throated blue warbler is stunning and so is the painted bunting. Even if I could get out there I wouldn't see such beautiful birds. But watch out for those gators those suckers are fast. I appreciate your posts so much. Even taking a ride has become a pain since we have been at the 105 mark supposed to cool down this week into the low 90's. Stay safe and well Sondra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jo, we have had a very cool spring up to now...I imagine the heat will arrive soon here so Im out almost every day enjoying it...even at home Im out in the yard getting things trimmed and clipped back. Hope you get a break soon.

      Delete
  3. So many birds here Sondra, the Painted Bunting stands out. I would be very wary of walking there with the alligators around. You're getting a good dose of exercise and fresh air so no wonder you fall asleep in the evening. Yes, I'm fascinated by the signers, what I like is that a few signs can have a lot of meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, I am always watching where I put my foot and what's in front of me, and behind me! Alligators are very fast, they can move like lightening on land and water...and they can blend into the surrounding very stealthy.
      Im enjoying the nice weather we're having! Our state has (according to ebird) listed 305 species since Jan 1 this yr. The top 100 list the number 1 guy has seen 245, HAROLD the guy I ran into a few weeks back, I am #38 at 185 since Jan 1, SO there's plenty of birds out there and I will never catch up to him because he lives close to the coast.

      Delete
  4. Hello, another great outing. I love all the warblers and the Painted Bunting. The Ovenbirds are common for my area, I hear them all the time now. The gator splashing in the water would have spooked me. Your photos are all wonderful, great report. Happy birding, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Eileen...Ovenbird is one of the first bird songs I learned, back in the day...so when I found that one singing it was such a pleasure!

      Delete
  5. Those bottom land swamps always look inviting and threatening at the same time, and I can only imagine the hordes of insects that must populate such areas. Warbler migration here seems to have slowed to a halt, and I have seen very few species this spring. Yesterday we were out for about three hours but saw only one Palm Warbler. Did see our first Baltimore Oriole and first Rose-breasted Grosbeak for the year so that was very rewarding. We have no alligators to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI David, as long as you keep moving the insects don't bite too bad...but if you stop moving they attack. It's been a cold spring so I think that has slowed the migration a little bit.

      Delete
  6. It is absolutely amazing all you see on one walk! Wonderful. I’m now one of those people who can’t get out to places like this and am so grateful to you for sharing. (And even if I walked right behind you and was quiet as a mouse, I would never get all the wonderful pictures you do). Love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sallie, Im trying to make the most of the awesome spring weather we have had...it's been really wonderful.

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh I think I would have had a heart attack too hearing a gator move like that!! He's huge! There's lot of great birds to make up for the scary gator though! It sounds like a perfect day to me - not seeing another person and having all that to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, how true I was happy to see no one, and just be out there enjoying and not worrying about human issues for a while.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!