Sunday, February 9, 2020

Keystone Species

It was 79 degrees!  It was an amazingly beautiful day as the humidity was only 39%.  I worked outside gathering up what I hope will be the last wood pile I will need.  I find the recently fallen trees, or ones that are about to fall and that is what I use...I don't cut a tree UNLESS it's a hazard, has grown in  a spot that it can not fit, or is so deformed it will be a hazard.  
  

Today I found a Longleaf Pine seedling as they just replanted the clear cut area..So I found a seedling laying in the road I brought it home and planted it! In about 100-150 yrs it will reach maturity!  Some can be 500 yrs old.  It's a Keystone Species...and native to SC  This means we could have Red Cockaded Woodpecker numbers increase as now as much as 40% of pines planted are Longleaf.  These are being planted for a cash crop so they won't be allowed to reach that ripe old age...anyway I planted that one and there's others growing here too.

I took a Sunday Drive to this spot:



Beaver is also a Keystone species for ecosystem development! I did find a scientific paper about the Beaver, it will take hours to read and even more for my under-educated brain to comprehend...but I'm going to try. To me it's only smart to want to increase the size of Riparian areas especially since so much wetland (286 Million acres) has been drained to increase farm acreage, build roads, and subdivisions! 



Can you imagine with a little work and a lot of planning Beaver could actually bring more water to the Deserts.  The Beaver was eradicated due to early settlers having a fur hat on their head.  There was no rules or regs on taking them same as the Buffalo.  Today, on private land they can be hunted year round and on public lands like this place there is a season of Oct 1 - Mar 1  So currently in season! The reintroduction of beaver was a success but not completely. 

I found this lodge! No Beaver around but another River Otter, (above photo) he was very camera shy...



               I hope there is a Beaver sleeping inside this lodge. 




When I was in Canada I saw Muskrat lodges, they have lots of mud in them and grasses and smaller twigs are not finely thatched like a beaver's work  is, it's like a lazy attempt to be like a beaver..lol But I also saw Muskrat out of the water and it's really a cool animal I saw them in Texas, Florida, and Colorado!


you can see the beaver habitat, and the lodge on the right upper before the tree line

I did not find the dam This is a beautiful wetland on the Singleton Creek in the  Wildlife Management area and a hunter could come here and shoot a Beaver in season...and an OTTER too! I found 3 kingfishers in this area, you can see the beaver pond is still somewhat intact maybe his dam is under the bridge I had no way to see under the bridge I was on.  Here is the opposite side.  It is flowing toward me, and then under the bridge, it heads on till it empties into the Wateree Lake.



red-headed woodpecker

There is another road I can take it winds down to where Singleton Creek flows into the Wateree Lake.  So next time I will explore that road. 


This is a huge WMA.  I would avoid it during main deer hunting season tho.  And I  wished for my sisters and their 4 x 4's and all wheel drive vehicles to  continue on the road with as you see it in the distance in that shot above.  I went in as far as the Kiosk which I forgot to get a photo of...I didn't sign in since I was not staying there was one other person in there he signed the log book and said he was hunting squirrel...can you imagine that?  It reminded me of some stories my Mom told us. 

Belted Kingfisher

My Mom's family used to go on hunting camp trips.  They would bring back turkey and squirrel, and camp by the river cooking and warmed by huge campfires.  They slept on a 'bed roll pallet" on the ground.   This game meat was used to feed the family.  The Appalachian women would gather star grass or peel shiny haw bark, which was a medicinal remedy for women who were prone to miscarry their babies  




It was the bark of the Black Haw tree with a shiny black color, known to the mountain people as "Shiny Haw." My mom spoke often of time spent with Grandmother Dovie, riding her horse Dixie down into the "hollers" to gather medicinal plants for trade with the "traveling store."

Anyone who can afford a vehicle to drive way back into these woods in 2020  does not need to kill a squirrel for food!  Even if you're homeless you can go to the Food Bank and get food free of charge.  My Mom's family would all crowd  into an old T-model with kids riding the running boards, or walking behind. 


What would turtles do without this Beaver Pond to live in? They need slow water and not the swift current of the creek.  I thought of Mom's camp trips while I watched this water slowly creep by.



... way on the other side of the pond a Great Blue Heron was also hunting...the beaver has created the perfect ecosystem...there is room for  Otter, Kingfisher, and Heron and they are finding food.  Snags provide perfect nesting cavities and  insects/worms for the Red Headed Woodpecker...and where there is small prey there must be a bird of prey to help keep that in check...

 
a red-tailed hawk

Shy River Otter swims back and forth

On the way I pass a few lake access points so I cruised down one, and found a Common Loon swimming around...that was fun, not a bird I see often. 


Spring is here in between we will have more cold snaps for sure..it will be interesting to see just how hot it will get this summer around the World. 


Don't forget to participate in the Backyard Bird Count coming up Feb 14-17.  All you do is keep a list of the birds you see in your backyard in a 15 minute time frame...Find out more by clicking the link. 


Till next week...I'm taking life  day by day. 
PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

17 comments:

  1. Hello Sondra, looks like a great spot for birding. The views are pretty. We have beaver in our lake, they usually are heard slapping their tails. Great sighting of the otter. Love the Red-headed Woodpecker and Kingfisher. Nice looking Hawk. I am not a fan of any hunting. Good luck to you and the seedling. Enjoy your day, have a happy new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, Thanks for your comment. I just don't understand hunting in this day and age, at one time it may have been necessary as I tried to example in my post...back in the 30 dperession and coming out of it in the 40's.

      Delete
  2. The red headed woodpecker and the belted kingfisher are very striking birds. Very few people nowadays hunt out of necessity, its just a sport. Long gone are the days when someone from the family hunted to put some meat on the table. Is that a camellia from your garden, ours are still in bud. Hows the car going ? you might get better fuel consumption now those plugs and H T leads have been sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, yes that is a camellia! I have several in bloom now. The van is running good but not great. I need to do or have the valve cover gaskets done it's using some oil! I had a vacuum problem I just repaired, it's always something with a vehicle this old!

      Delete
  3. Pictures were great as always, and I really enjoyed your narrative. I’m so glad your mom shared her life experiences with you as they are so worth saving. It was different back then ... hunting for food your family needs to survive was good. Nowadays Nobody who can afford to hunt needs to! But from all the hue and cry from the horrible gun lobby, you’d think it was a matter of survival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Sallie, Mom hated to eat the game meat she said it was tough and stringy, and she left it to the men folk to eat. When they had chickens of course they ate them too. Mom would collect duck eggs from the edges of steams and ponds, so they did depend on animals for food mainly when a garden was not growing. My Granny canned and and preserved what she could but the success of a garden was very dependent on weather and was not always enough to feed a family year round. The NRA is not a good thing!!!

      Delete
  4. What luck finding the seddling and getting it planted. So many wonderful birds in your post and the otter swimming around. Yes when hunting was a means of food you understand but like others here have said it is now just a nasty sport. Nice to know you had a great day and able to go exploring.
    Your mom had some great life stories to share. Always love hearing about how our parents lived. It wasn't and easy life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes one day a pine will stand tall where that seedling is now! Mom had all sorts of stories, and we were always eager to listen to her when she retold them. It was as if she was transported back in time and reliving as she recited.

      Delete
  5. Regarding the Backyard Bird Count, we do it in style. A group of people from our nature club visits the homes of three others and we count the birds in their yards. At the first two stops the hosts provide coffee/tea/hot chocolate and muffins or scones, and at the third stop a light lunch is laid on. We have done it this way for several years now. Lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I have read some of the posts you shared about those nibble as you bird gatherings..such a great idea.

      Delete
  6. Oh, you make me hunger to explore! Lovely post, gorgeous birds! I’ve only seen a red headed woodpecker once, but remember it to be a sight to behold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Karen, the Red headed makes me think he stuck his head in a jar of Strawberry Jam! Yum..lol

      Delete
  7. I'm another who does not and will never understand shooting animals of any kind, there's all sorts of campaigns here against the way moorland etc is managed for shooting, it results in the 'mysterious' (illegal) deaths of many birds of prey that supposedly prey on the birds they want to shoot! Anyway i'll stop there on that one!

    Lovely to see the Otter and it's interesting to here about your family too :) I look forward to seeing what your backyard bird count brings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound suspicious Pam, My mom ended up a Vegan/Vegetarian like me, we both made that choice...But one day after the dementia got a hold of her we were in a fast food place we normally would get Fries and a drink...but when she ordered she said I want a hamburger, I said, "cancel that she doesn't eat meat" and the waitress acted as if I had no right to tell her what to eat...LoL...but I knew in her right mind my Mom would NEVER want to eat that. She was very happy with her Fries and piece of sweet Apple Pie!

      Delete
    2. Ah but of course you knew your Mom better than the waitress!

      Delete
  8. Such A Beautiful Part Of The World - Love All The Photos - Must Admit That I Have Never Enjoyed A Turkey Over An Open Flame - Have A Wonderful Weekend And Stay Adventurous

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, well they didn't cook the turkey there, I guess I wasn't clear about that... they took their cache home and cleaned and dressed it and it was baked in the oven of wood stove by Grandma, and they dried some jerky in the smoke house.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!