Sunday, December 22, 2019

Look Back and Look Up


Today is Tuesday and the sky is dark and the rain is coming down in buckets...good thing I had nothing planned, actually I planned nothing cause I knew it was coming.  I know there's others out there who are affected by weather I am in their ranks.  If I don't see the sun, I am immediately let down.  I recall when I was a kid running around on Bramblewood plantation where we lived for a time, I would spend the entire rainy Saturday in the stall with a horse.   I'd lay down beside the horse and that warmth helped get me through the disappointment of the rainy day with no riding!  That is a shot of me and my mare Silky.  She was a great horse to ride and spend time with.  This shot was taken most probably in 1969.  I was about 16 yrs old.  That big tree in the background was another favorite place I spent time I would hide up there. 





Later on at about age 18 I started working at the Hunter Barn where horses were boarded and we taught riding, I'm goofing off here with Blinky one of our jumpers...We had a summer day camp and I was one of the instructors, after a heavy storm this tree hit the barn, my boss had me saddle up and jump the tree for publicity!




Me riding Chinazo. He was my favorite horse at the barn, and I was the only one who would ride him...we got along...most people he  did not like and he was a hand full. 





This is me on the left and my first crush Tommy on the right with the Hunter Barn in the background it's still in use today! 

In our town race horses come to be trained in winter.  My first real job after the riding school was here riding race horses.  No photos of me tho...Mom was supposed to come and watch me one day and get a photo.  I saw here drive up and we rode past her and then she backed up and left...Later I asked did you get a photo of me, she said "I never saw you." Huh, "I rode right in front of you with 2 other horses"...
"OH it looked like 3 boys to me." okay...lol she was right



1971




                                                                                         1970

Only my long hair let people know I was not a boy.   My boss told me I dressed like a truck driver...lol  I was just happy to be out and about on my horse.  This was taken at the first Hunter Barn, it was sold and then the new one (pictured earlier) was built.  




This is me jumping Thunder, he was a great school horse...these are all old photos of photos...so poor quality.  Anyway that's a look back at my early teen years.  Now you see why I hate rainy days, all this adventure was shut down by rain! 






Those were the days!


Looking UP  to present time....did do some birding on Monday saw some cool birds, like the Pileated Woodpecker...

 

More Awesome Cedar Waxwings, 

 
 

and  this odd mushroom 

 


A Yellow Bellied Sapsucker 


 

  

It was pretty day this was on Sunday...




It was Jimmy Approved!  On Wednesday we went back to the county river park and saw hundreds of Common Grackle mixed with Red Winged Blackbird...they landed near us what a sight to see that was.  I didn't have my camera that day...The river was flooded due to all the rains. It was amazing. 

-----------------------------------------------

My Mom Memory for this post is


 

 I should have put this one up on my last post this was taken at  Huntington Beach probably 2009?  Even tho she had to carry an oxygen tank Mom still took a cold walk on the beach with me. I hope I have half her spunk if I live as long.


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

11 comments:

  1. I love looking at old photos, the memories they bring...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, most people are going to do a year look back but I decided to look much farther back than just this year...my life revolved around horses for the first 42 yrs of it!

      Delete
  2. It's good to look back once in a while, huh? I am sure you miss those horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss having horses in my life, I would enjoy having one again...but then when I do get to travel, that would be an issue.

      Delete
  3. You were quite the horse woman back in the day. What a great look back into your early years. Then to go birding on a beautiful day. And your Mom walking on the beach on a cold day but still enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, horses have been a big part of my life I owned horses up until 1996, and then when Sundance passed away I decided to not go on with horse ownership...I was so busy with running my business etc, I barely had time to ride or spend time with him. I would love to adopt a burro maybe in a couple years.

      Delete
  4. You must have been a good rider and to be an instructor too.. I just Googled the races in your area and the Carolina Cup is held there so I guess it must be a popular track. We're fed up with rain too there are lots of floods throughout the UK, there's been very little let up since November. So all the best over the Christmas period which I'm sure wont be easy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave, and the empty chair at our table will be a sad event for us. I loved horses, and in the end it was my love of horses that stopped me working with race horses,,,I saw way too much mistreatment of them..We used to have 2 race events but the fall event Colonial Cup has been suspended since the number of visitors declined due to the big football rivalry here that takes precedence. Happy Holidays to you and your family!

      Delete
  5. A great look back, and special picture of your Mom.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved seeing and hearing all about your horseback days! And I enjoyed seeing the pleated woodpecker! I haven’t seen one in a few years, but I could hear one when I was in Maine. Made me drool and chatter like a cat in the window!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!