Wednesday, December 25, 2019

A Cold for Christmas

I caught a Christmas Cold.  So that gave me time to get a blog off early and this will give me time for one more post to finish out the year! Happy Winter Season to you All!

Back to the cold...it's the first one I recall having in many a year, just hope I can overcome it quickly.  I thought something was wrong when I went to bed at 9:15 night before last...I felt so tired and exhausted.  Yesterday another deluge 4 inches of rain it came down all day long.  Today is sunny but I  feel cloudy. :o(

I went out one day this week toured around my 5 mile.  I have not been participating much lately.  I have no hopes of adding a new species to the list.  However I was happy to add River Otters to my hotspot, Goodale Park, 

 

One with his tail up and the other just barely has his head out of the water...they are full grown adults by the look of them.  I was thrilled to find this!  I can't wait to tell the park staff next time I see them.  There was trimming of trees on one section of the lakeshore, it has thrown some birds off their normal hangouts so it may take a while for them to find new perches.

 

Yellow Rumped Warbler

the cut reveals another patch of pitcher plants 

I had a couple of surprises, not new but the Fox Sparrow was there 


He was pretty bashful and not showing his face...this guy showed his face  had some pine needles in the way, the Blue Headed Vireo.  




And if not for Ruby Crowned Kinglets this time of year would be quite boring...




Did not show his Ruby Crown!  I drove over to my favorite AG fields and checked those out...had 100's of Brown Headed Cowbird joined by some Red-Winged Blackbird.  


There were other trees full also...

Lots of sparrow present, the Field, the Chipping, the Dark Eyed Junco, the Eastern Towhee, White Throated, and Song were all accounted for.  


The coloration of Song Sparrow here locally vary, some are dark and more chocolate brown while these red ones with warm grey tones can fool you into thinking they are something else.


An alert Eastern Phoebe holds on and looks over his shoulder at me...

Midweek we were shooting a cemetery in Fairfield County and it was about another 10 miles to the Lake Wateree State Park not in my radius...but it was fun to see lots of Ring Billed and Bonaparte's Gull around.  



There's a pedestrian bridge that is fun to walk over...Allowed me to get close to this colorful female Northern Cardinal 



Hope your Holiday  is festive, can you imagine trying to remember it's 2020?

-------------------------------------


My Mom Memory for this Christmas day: Mom we cherish our memories of all those delicious Magik Cookies!





PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

18 comments:

  1. Have a comforting Holiday Sondra. Your outing and seeing the Otters would have made me so happy love those guys. So many birds in the trees wow, and still you has some good sightings. Female Cardinal is really pretty.

    It is wet and cold here an I to think I'm coming down with something OH Well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, hope you're not catching something,,,,my son brought this one home to me, he works around the public so anything can come along. I normally don't mingle with the world too much so I don't normally pick these bugs up...he is on the mend and soon I hope to be also...I am supposed to go grocery shopping today but I'm not sure Im up to it. Seeing the otters was such a gift! I watched them for over half an hour then they slid out of my sight behind the trees, and disappeared. The sun is out today and that's a plus.

      Delete
  2. Hope your cold is short-lived, Sondra. All the best for 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David...I didn't even have any OTC remedies in the cabinet so I'm trying the honey n lemon trick.

      Delete
  3. I sympathise with the cold as my wife has one too and its been hanging on for a while now. All the best for 2020 and look forward to some new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your wife gets over her cold soon...My taste buds were absent during our holiday meal, and that was a bummer!

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, I hope your cold does not last long.
    My good wishes for the coming New Year.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan,,,it's getting a little bit better every day, best wishes for you in the upcoming year.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Sondra! Long time, no visit. Please accept my apologies. How restoring to see all your bird sightings. I love Bonaparts! They flock along our shores in the fall and are the funniest! They sound like a bunch of old ladies cackling and laughing while watching a comedy show! Happy New Year, honey! I hope 2020 is kinder to you. Take care of that cold! I had a little one a few weeks ago, the first in forever! It’s maddening, isn’t it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sondra, I hope you are feeling better. The river otter sighting is cool, they are cute. Cute birds and photos.   I wish you and your family all the best in 2020, Happy New Year!Have a happy day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen..today is the 6th and I finally got out of the house for a short time...

      Delete
  7. Cold's are awful, they really do make you feel cloudy, I hope you are feeling bette rand have had a good festive season. How fantastic to see the Otters, i've only ever seen them once!

    A lovely Mom memory :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you're on the mend by now and feeling a bit less cloudy. That's great that you found some river otters, they are so fun to watch. Wishing you the best for 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen, the otters are a great surprise.

      Delete
  9. Sure hope y’all are feeling better by now! I’d be so happy to see a RIver otter again! Fabulous birds, I especially love the phoebe ...I’ve never seen one.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!