Sunday, October 27, 2019

Pileated Woodpecker

Finally I saw a couple of Song Sparrows show up in the clear cut...so my fall buddies are back...not all but most also saw some Yellow Rump Warblers..

But I've seen nothing new so far in my radius for October.  I have about 5 days to go and right now I've got lots of chores I need to complete and am not getting out there everyday like i'd prefer.

So today my blog is going to highlight one species!  The Pileated Woodpecker.  It is the largest woodpecker species in North America it is the size of an average crow.  It is loud and raucous when it flies over and it sounds like a Jungle Bird straight out of an old Tarzan TV show!


As you can see this bird is striking with the big read tuft on the head...and it is the closest cousin to the believed now extinct Ivory Billed Woodpecker. 





This particular day I was birding my hotspot, Goodale Lake, and this bird was very close to the path,,,and when he saw me he froze...normally they don't pay me much mind, but this one decided to not move so as to be stealthy...But the blinking of the eye he couldn't stop..




When they are drumming on a tree it echoes and reverberates all over the forest...and can be heard for quite a distance. 



One fact I recall learning about woodpeckers is this the various length of the beak determines the bugs they eat in the trees..some bugs only go so deep and others go way down inside the tree...these guys will push their beak pretty far so they dig out the deepest of wood borers and other tree dwelling insects. This way there is enough food for ever beak size! And I've seen them push under the bark and get insects hiding on the trunk exposed! 

Hope you have a great week.. 


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. I love these guys! Can’t wait to see them again. (We do have them here in Oregon too and I’ve seen and heard them, but it’s always too woodsy overgrown to get a picture). In Florida, they land on poles and palms where they’re in plainer sight. .... Good birding luck in what remains of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sallie, Im happy to report that our numbers of Pileated Woodies is very healthy and doing well...I think due to the number of dead pine, around it has given them lots of food!

      Delete
  2. I see this species fairly regularly but it is always an exciting event. For a big, gaudy bird with a loud voice it can be elusive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI David. We see them almost daily but they are not always so still they are sometimes on the move or busy and in constant motion.

      Delete
  3. We don't have these here and they are really neat looking. Isn't this the one they made the cartoon chacter Woody Wood Pecker? We have other types here and up at Madera they have acorn breed, love them. Hope you get to see more of your winter birds soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do think Woodie was a Pileated...he was quite a character as these birds are in real life! I for my Lifer Arizona Woodpecker in Madera!

      Delete
  4. Hello, The Pileated Woodie is one of my favorite birds. They are so big loud and beautiful. Wonderful series of videos and photos. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen...I had a video of one drumming but I accidentally deleted it. I'll have to try and get another one!

      Delete
  5. Wood peckers have tongues that wrap around the inside of their skulls. Our Green Woodpecker uses it to eat ants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I didn't know that they do have amazing length to the tongue, I can sometimes see it flicking in and out when Im watching thru the binoculars...Have a great weekend Dave.

      Delete
    2. Sondra, are you aware of the changes Yahoo are making to groups?

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!