Sunday, July 21, 2019

Woods Bay

Friday we headed over to Woods Bay State Park.  I got another stamp in my State Parks book.  The book was a gift from my sis...along with one of those fabulous free entrance passes!  I've visited  20 of the 46
State Parks in our state. I want to make a new challenge to myself...I hiked to most of the waterfalls in my state, and now I want to visit every state park...maybe a great fall trip...Never more than 3 hrs from home!   

Today we visited one we had never been to...Woods Bay State Park.  The heat and humidity made it a little uncomfortable for sure...but we were in the deep shade most of the time.  



We took Mom's wheel chair so she had a good ride around.   There is a nature center it was not open! Sadly, our state parks are a fragment of what they once were...most are unmanned...except for one hour per day.   They do try to keep the grounds mowed and pruned back....



The boardwalk is not long but it is nature close up.   Mom was happy to be able to access the boardwalk although the approach trail was full of roots.  We need a wheel chair with big fat Mountain bike wheels...




We didn't see any alligators on this day we did see this beautiful Broad Banded Water Snake...we almost didn't see him as he was still as a mouse.  


My camera did a horrible job for me on this day it just does not want to focus anymore...we spotted lizards on the boardwalk, and  heard frogs, and saw many dragonflies too...along with this  Praying Mantis he was so well camouflaged it was hard to see him! 






Some birds were around and Finally I got a good look at the Acadian Flycatcher that for some reason I could never say I had a good look at but now I can!  Not a really good photo of him but I got a short video of it..




eastern painted turtle


 I made it to 450 with this bird...nothing worked out last year for me to make my 500...but I'm not giving up.

(I edited the videos after uploading to Vimeo, think I can use it for my less than 1 min videos and it's a little bigger than Blogger's Video)


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

18 comments:

  1. Hello, I love the state parks in most of the state I have visited. It is nice to have a free pass. We finally have the senior federal park pass, it was $80. This park and boardwalk look beautiful. I keep hearing the Acadian Flycatcher but I can not ind in the trees and leaves. I enjoyed the photos and videos. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen...Yes I know I've had this bird in my sights but never made a positive ID...and heck Im still not positive..lol. But so far ebird has not poo-poo'd it so it's a keeper!

      Delete
  2. This park looks great and good for your Mum too. A good spot on the Mantis, they are the coolest looking creatures I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam! Wish Blogger's video's were bigger! It's so short I didn't bother to make one on You Tube of it, the camo on him was amazing if he hadn't been moving I would not have spotted it.

      Delete
  3. I know there are state funds and federal funds, and politics get involved, but it is pretty sad when Trump can visit his golf courses every weekend at taxpayer expense, and state parks can only staff their facilities one day a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...just shows how upside down and disconnected politicians are from the real world..Trump wouldn't spend more than 5 minutes in one of our parks!

      Delete
  4. Great park visit. Boardwalk was awesome! Shade was great! Thanks for all the great pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sis...it was a good time eh? I sure enjoyed it.

      Delete
  5. Your Mom looks so happy to be out and about. The board walk worked out well once you dodge the roots. Cute little bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, mom always enjoys the outings she gets pretty confused and can become anxious about where are we going but once we are there she gets curious and enjoys the nature around her.

      Delete
  6. You have a good number of State Parks to get around. Parks and recreational facilities are often regarded as non essential items when it comes to cutbacks but they are enjoyed by so many people. That Praying Mantis is so hard to spot and would have been nearly impossible if you hadn't done a video. Your Mom looks as if she's enjoying the outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Dave...yes Im glad I did that little video of the mantis, you can see how he really is ONE with the plant!

      Delete
  7. Good on you for the Flycatcher! And that praying mantis ....talk about camouflage! I’m fascinated by your State Parks Pass (and sad about the budget woes). But I’m wondering if either Oregon or Florida has one of those and I’m going to look into it. Either of those would have Parks more than three hours from home though of course, but still it would be a fun long term goal. .... Happy to see your mom out there having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they do! The simple things give me great joy! Getting that little stamp brings a giggle up. Since Im in the center of the state Im 3 hrs to the border in any direction!

      Delete
  8. Your Mom looks so happy! I love that photo. :) These are some great photos my friend. So much life in such a place....they will some day be HUGE again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! I really love going to wetlands, which here in the south means more of a Savannah or swampy feel...there is so much life there!

      Delete
  9. You have so many birds on your life list now, you’re going to have to start traveling abroad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen...LoL, heck there is birds right here in SC I've never seen...so I think I have enough to last me my lifetime...

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!