Monday, April 1, 2019

March---over.

Was unable to refind the Prothonotary warbler..can't win them all up to now at least.  So my Month end wrap up...First off Spring is in full swing here.  


The Fields are ablaze with color!

camellia 
camellia 
dogwood

yellow jasmine and trumpet honeysuckle

Then a cold front driven in by rain put the brakes on that for a while now it's nice again! Walking back to the first week of March my first bird for the month was FOY (1) Fish Crow.   No photo  I don't know why I don't photo crows more often they are fascinating.  

(2) Pine Siskin at my Mom's feeder...no photo didn't have my camera with me..


 and then the Anhinga at Goodale got a bad shot but its FTR! 




And then got that Yellow Throated Warbler again this time in my yard...all you can see of it is the yellow throat! 


And the Black and White Warbler he had his neck stretched out...




Then a large flock of Purple Martin soared pretty far away over the hotspot lake... I could not even get focus up in that sky 

Next was the Palm Warbler, just 3 blocks from home in the clear cut...


Back at the hotspot; I had been hearing the Blue Grey Gnatcatcher in the trees at home but hadn't put my eye on one...then when I took a quick spin around the hotspot saw one in dull light but again FTR! No mistaking that silhouette. 


A bit better look at the face at least here...



The shots below are not first of year in the radius but they are in the radius...just some cool birds to see anywhere and anytime! 

The Carolina Wren


A nice looking House Finch 



A Hermit Thrush 


Pine Warbler



Purple Finch Female 



An American Goldfinch Female and a Friend!


These were strewn all along a section of a dirt road I like to check in my radius...more clean up was done.



SO I'm adding 8 this month (didn't take the Prothonotary with no photo proof since it would be marked as rare) maybe Ill refind it when it gets a little warmer the weather has been unstable lately.  I had a Northern Parula at the new wetland I found over in Lee county soon hope to see one in the radius...


Checked on the Eagle nest while there and got a shot of the chick.  This nest is very far from the highway....but I was happy to see the chick up this time and he seemed to be eating.  I  see only one adult hanging around. 



and this was something I didn't notice when I was there last time...a Beaver is at work here!! Didn't see him/her but you can sure see their work.  




So far a total of 77 species since Jan 1, within 5 miles of my house!  77 of 106 species seen in my county my percentage is 81.62  Not bad for a mainly AG area with no public access, and hardly any water habitat...

wish the above wetland WAS In my radius there is one similar but on that busy highway I videoed a while back...I did see some good stuff there all repeats and one unknown!! That little devil I did not recognize the call or song, and I never got an eye on it...so I must return when I have time to wait him out. I must play the Indigo Bunting song to remind me of what they sound like.  

April has lots of promise and  great expectations!


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. Hello, Happy April to you. It is great you are seeing the warblers there. They will show up here soon. I love the Northern Parula. I would love to grow the trumpet honeysuckle here but I think my plant zone is not hardy for this honeysuckle. The invasive honeysuckle grows like crazy. The eaglet is a cool sighting and capture. Happy Monday, enjoy your day! Wishing you a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Eileen, today I had the Parula in my Raidus..and I imagine one will be in the yard anytime now. We have miles of the regular honeysuckle too it's pretty but it gets into everything.

      Delete
  2. You did get some great shots. When the weather just doesn't work in your favor you still didn't do bad. Maybe April will be the winner month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn it. The eagle was a great shot I wonder if there is more than one baby?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could only see the one, by the looks I'd say its' 2-3 months of age? It's fully feathered and at age 12 weeks they fledge so I imagine soon it will fledge. Hopefully I'll see them both around on my next visit there.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic to see the Beavers work, they have been reintroduced to parts of the UK over the last few years. Some lovely shots of the birds and a not so lovely one of all the cans!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do believe if you had the time you could support yourself by picking up cans and taking them in for the recycle price 30 cents a lb here! I'd like to have a golf cart so It wouldn't cost me anything to go around and pick them up! SO 10lb is $30 100lb $300 one could easily pick up 100 lb a week!

      Delete
  5. Some great spring birds in this post! Wish we had more warblers out here. Cool to see the eagle nest too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, the warblers are arriving, I hope to have a few more show up in the radius! I think I am the only person who has birded that wetland where the nest is!

      Delete
  6. Its great when the migrants start to arrive, I always follow the local bird reports to see whats been spotted.
    I often see clumps of empty cans together, remnants of a picnic party?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave the migration is such an exciting time...I think I will remember from year to year which bird arrives when but it's always a surprise when i see it. The cans all together make me think someone was cleaning up their truck before they went home...getting rid of the evidence kind of thing.

      Delete
  7. Happy Spring! Wonderful flowers and as always your bird pictures so good. The yellow-throat made me smile.... showing off his best feature, and easy to see where that name came from.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!