Tuesday, March 5, 2019

February Wrap

I really don't understand why "they" can't just make February 30 days like the rest...I really needed the extra days to get more birds on my February list for the 5 Mile Radius.  Mainly because this is how most of the days of Feb were here in my radius! And this morning March 5th there was a tiny dust of snow on my van when I got up Weather Man Epic Fail!!


Believe it or not I was hoping to see birds in this mess...lol  Somedays it would be a complete rain out others it started later in the afternoon, we had at least one half day of sun...and I went out and birded one of the cemeteries, hoping to see blackbirds, or even a feral pigeon! Nope but I saw a Blue Jay who played hide n seek with me up in the new spring buds


I  can see youuuuuuuuuu...lol I also saw tons of Robins that day...and had this great look at a Tufted Titmouse in breeding plumage...


After the wood ducks mentioned in the previous post, I had added 12 to February I was hard put to find any new ones to add, mostly weather issues...Im hopeful for an influx once the Spring warm up happens.  I have been consistently seeing all the species tapped so far, but in lower numbers than previous years.  Since I knew the time was right after seeing the huge flock of Grackle I showed you in my video...I was looking hard for black birds, and this for my radius means HORSE OR COW POOP! Yes never give a black bird a kiss on the beak...lol SO I cruise the fields looking for birds, but non birders see this:

"911 what is your emergency?"
"I see this totally weird van with this strange woman creeping around...." YES  I look like a total creep-oid in my Conversion Van with shades on the windows, cruising slowly around, glaring at their livestock through high powered binoculars...and taking PICTURES!! Yes I expect to be taken into custody soon on some sort of trespassing/stalking warrant. 


It's hard to look nonchalant while engaging in this behavior...but I found my birds right there digging in the mixed bag of cow and horse poop in this field where both are turned out.  YES!! 
The Rusty Blackbird with what I'm calling a Red Wing-Blackbird, but could be a Rusty X Red Wing  just because of the rusty color outlining the tertials of the wings, it is visible sort of if you look close. 




so 68 & 69 together in one mixed flock 

Had this nice looking purple finch visit my feeders last week...actually he was accompanied by another male and 2 females.  



the Yellow-eyed Eastern Towhee


He lives down by the vernal pool highlighted in my last You Tube video and in my last blog post as well...

and finally I got some footage of that Common Yellow Throat! He was in constant movement, but here he is...with his little black mask..I think a name change could do this bird well..."the lone ranger"



...and another resident of the vernal pool...one of the many yellow rumped warblers...of the Myrtle subspecies. 



My 2 month wrap up = 69 species or 67.6% of county reported birds.  The other 30% are birds reported by a very aggressive birder who comes up with some amazing and unbelievable species..while the rest of the field including me, are consistent with our numbers and species...somehow he finds birds that not one other birder is finding...so there is that!


...and in other news
For one overnight I was an anxious mom of these 2 babies squirrels Annie found in the yard! They are smaller than the kosher pickles in my jar. 


I was soooo happy to find Pine Tree Hill Rescue and Margaret the director met me in the morning and I was relieved that she took them!  I put the box out in the area where they were found and they did squeak, and no mom came to claim them after a couple hrs, Margaret suspected the mom was injured or dead.  Annie may have attacked her I just don't know any details, all I know is Annie did not hurt these little babies and she showed me where they were, poor little guys were so cold when I found them it's amazing they survived.  I put that fleece in the dryer  to warm it then wrapped them up and they were frisky and moving later when I attempted to give them some liquid.   I really did not want to try to rehab them myself they have to be fed every 4 hrs. I was thrilled she took them off my hands! WHEW, close call!

Here is a tip: GO ahead NOW and research rescue groups in your area put their number in your phone or your Rolodex, if you still have one, so you will be prepared.  I see so many people on Facebook begging for help when they find an injured bird or mammal....so the old saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, works best.

I was the head cage cleaner and flight attendant at a Bird of Prey Rehab facility for a couple years, so I know enough to give immediate care but without the proper food and knowledge you have to turn to those more capable and prepared in a time of need. 

Our Feb challenge was a photo contest, and our March challenge is to clean up as we go...literally.  Stay tuned. 


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. Hello, our weather was not good in February either. We had rain/snow or sleet every couple of days. Congrats on the Rusty Blackbird sighting, they are hard to find. Love the cute warblers. I hope the baby squirrels survive. I have never seen baby squirrels. Neat photo. It is a good idea to keep the wildlife rescue phone numbers handy on our phones. Happy Birding, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I was thrilled to see the Rusty in that mixed flock...and I am confident in the survival of those babies, Margaret seemed so confident, and that only comes with experience.

      Delete
  2. As Eileen says above, congratulations on the Rusty Blackbird, always a good sighting. I can see that you put your scatalogical knowledge to good use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure...I think they prefer horse manure tho since cattle have those 2 stomachs, and little seed makes it through to the ground...but the cow manure brings lots of insects!

      Delete
  3. You did pretty good considering the nasty weather you had. Those little babies are so tiny and couldn't be more than a couple days old. Poor things losing their mom so soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, in the end the numbers were pretty good as you say considering the weather we had. March is off to a slow start too.

      Delete
  4. I like the Tufted Titmouse, we have a Crested Tit, but only found in the north of the UK and Scotland. There was an article in the news here, where a birdwatcher out with his binoculars in a local park was reported and initially arrested as a suspicious character, so your story rings true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL, I know I look very sly as Im always in places I shouldn't be! But I keep my binoculars up so people can see hopefully that Im trying to view wildlife! AND surprising a lot of people pull over and ask if I'm broke down, so that shows some kindness is out there too.

      Delete
  5. Nice save on the squirrels, hopefully they'll do well! Very nice spot with the Blackbird, it's good to know where to look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been cruising cow and horse pastures looking at poop...lol still need to see some Pigeon, and they are just outside the radius! FLOCKS Of them just one mile out of my radius.

      Delete
  6. You got a huge percentage of possible birds it seems to me. I think that one guy is a cheat, he just can’t possibly be that much off everybody else who is working at it. Cattle egrets could be found pretty much the same way as blackbirds ...but of course being white, they’re pretty easy to spot anyway. Those baby squirrels ...omg! That’s a good hint about the rehab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm hoping for the cattle egret as more flies come out! I know a field that gets many but it's not in my 5 mile. I think he is young maybe early to mid teens. Just makes me and Lucinda work harder (he is #1, she is #2 and I'm a close #3 within 1 bird of her, she has found the pigeon at the race track, the last I checked but he has us by 15 species). BUT they are not sticking to only 5 miles so Im sure they will both surpass me soon. SO I have to add more locations that are outside my 5 mile to keep my standing..lol.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!