Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Thankful things...

I'm still sorting out where I will post photos in order for the blog to continue..and I think this could work.  Since I like Flickr and really would like to continue to use it...but just don't want to pay for it...For the Future I created a new account.  So between that and Google I think it will work. I don't know if I created 20 accounts if I could move my 20K photos..lol
If I sign up for the pro for a year, then make 18 more accounts each can have 1,000 free...lol
So I did sign up for a second account under my gmail email address. So at least I have that part figured out. 


Yes Im a tree Hugger!

I will however keep the second account private as I don't want to be worried about spam comments etc.  So if you click on a photo it will probably tell you "you don't have permission to see this image." Here's me hugging my big tree.  I just finished up a big You Tube project.  I decided to make one highlighting some of the things I love and am thankful to have in my life...right here on my little piece of the world.  So if you're a subscriber to my You Tube you can see it and if not WHY NOT? LoL no strings attached.  I actually like You Tube cause I can put my videos and photos in and there is no storage limit...I've made some videos highlighting some of my favorite trips and I'd like to do one on every place I've visited.  It brings life into the static of blogging.  I do need a new editor Im using Windows Movie Maker it is obsolete...that is why my video's have the black bars even if I shoot in 16:9 format my WMM won't save it in that format so I'm currently looking for a work around, and I may have found one for future use. 




I thought Google Photos would work but then a friend told me the photos were not showing on the last post so I had to rework that blog post and hopefully they are now visible...
My wintering birds have arrived..and it's good to have something normal and expected happen.  The numbers of my visitors is down so far.  The Dogwood tree in the front yard has become the hip happening place to be in my yard.  There is three of them and all have berries but one is loaded with berries this year.  A Northern Mockingbird has been defending this tree since the end of September.


But yesterday he really had a challenge...a flock of about 40 American Robins came in and they attacked his tree, then came Eastern Bluebirds, Yellow Shafted Northern Flickers, Red Bellied, and Downy Woodpeckers and even one Pileated flushed when I went out into the yard.  He had to drive away Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, Northern Cardinal, and all those Robins! I tired to get a few shots via the window.  I saw some Junco on the ground underneath, and the American Goldfinch grabbed one or two berries.  They must be very sweet to eat. 


A. Robin

N. Flicker

More Robins...



E. Bluebird





So this was good!!  Unfortunately for the Northern Mockingbird, the tree was stripped of all berries, a few on the ground is all he has now.  I hope he finds the suet in the feeders. 

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

14 comments:

  1. Great post. You have such great birds in your area. Not much here at all.Of course I don't put seed out anymore because of the doves and I haven't put out hummer food either because of the wood peckers that will drain the feeders in a heart beat and I also watched the devil attack a hummer. Did not like that at all.

    I was told to get a syne(sp) 1,000 inverter so maybe after after the first of the year. Need to recoupe some cash first ahhaha like that ever happens.
    Take care and loved the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1,000 Pure Sine should give you more than enough power. The biggest problem I have with my feeders is of course squirrels...BUT for the moment I have that problem under control. I put some corn out for them not long ago so they were happy. Thank you for the visit.

      Delete
  2. Hello, I never checked my Dogwood for berries. I love all Robin and the beautiful bluebird. Sounds like you have some great yard birds. I am a tree hugger too, trees are beautiful. We need more of them! I am glad you have the photo and blog thing worked out, I enjoy visiting your blog. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I sure enjoy seeing the birds in your posts and the lovely walks you take...Myabe you can do the same thing with your photos I know you mentioned you also had Flickr. I figure they will get at least one year from all of us as we sort out or either let go of our life's work...lol

      Delete
  3. That one tree with its bumper crop of berries sure attracted a wide variety of birds. You will be sorry that it has been stripped clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a pretty old dogwood I actually moved it from the edge of the woods into my yard back in 1978! At that time it was a wee sapling. I have relationships with my trees they dont' have names per'se but I know each on individually and know at least 41 yrs of their history so it's almost an intimate relationship. One of my dogwoods was brutally pruned by my X who knew nothing about the care of trees he was a horse man! It now seems to be having some problems..and I hope I can save it.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed the video, you have so much space there and a wonderful variety of bird life. I can see all your photos on this post but not on the previous post. Trees are good, but we have to keep ours carefully pruned as we only have a small garden, but they add so much and the birds use them. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dave! I will go back and try to rework that blog post again...I can see them I could see them all along so can't figure out what is the problem but I can move them to the new Flickr acct. Google photos is not working as I had hoped as a photo host. It is geared more toward "sharing" photos with individuals. I used to have close to 10 acres. I had sell off 6 in order to buy the homestead during the divorce...so now I have just over 3 acres. Good for me, my sister bought 4 of the acreage and it will remain in trees! So I'm still the steward of that, its on my east boundary. The deer use it and wild turkey and many woodland birds...we've had nesting screech owls there so it's an important plot for wildlife.

      Delete
  5. I hope you manage to sort out your photo hosts in the end, it's all very frustrating. Your garden birds are lovely, the berries are out in full force here too, the birds do get really squabbly over them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Pam, I have noticed how nature gives up berries in succession. SO very smart is our "Mother". Just to name a few off the top of my head that are present right here on my homestead....In Early spring we have the black berry and the wild plum, in late spring we have the wild cherry, the polk berry, and wild grapes, in the fall we have the american beauty bush, dogwood and the holly fruit, and winter the Cedar Trees give us berries! Maybe I should rename my place Berry Hill! I have tried to plant some fruit trees. One pear has survived and 2 California Plums are barely hanging in there the deer destroy them! The recently damaged and hopefully not to the point of killing the Cyprus Trees I planted by Mom's driveway. We planted those trees as a cover for birds and to provide some privacy in the event the 300 acreages on our Southern border is ever developed. So far the deer have killed 4 out of the 12. I recently moved some Holly out of the woods to my North boundary where I had planted about 4 yrs ago some Eastern Red Cedar. A few of those died during some drought we had while I was away so the holly will fill in those gaps and holly and cedar do well together here.

      Delete
  6. Using the resources on the internet has become so confusing. I’m not very tech savvy, and pretty soon I won’t understand any of it anymore. Love the picture of you and your tree! I have a few of those, too. I’ve been enjoying my winter birds, as well. Most recently, I have a line red breasted nuthatch entertaining me throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love nuthatches they are so bold and quick! Well you wouldnt believe what happened when I went on the 30th to get the 30% discount it was only 15%! AND I accidentally got the pro account on the NEW one I set up due to I was signed up in that account at the time I purchased the pro account I did contact CS via email and they told me they did cancel the wrong account as pro...so I only got 15% discount!

      Delete
  7. All your pictures are showing up beautifully. You are a great tree hugger! I am one too. Love all your birds, especially the bluebird, a bird I don’t see often enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw where an Eastern Bluebird was found in Oregon! Very rare.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!