Friday, July 13, 2018

Go Fly A Kite!

I found this cool machine so I ordered one! It's a handy charging unit for 110 electric things, has Power sockets for DC charging, and it has USB charging, it will jump a dead battery, and it will inflate a tire, and it's rechargeable. When it will not charge you can buy replacement battery for it around $60.  SO this is cheaper than a 100 watt solar system I was considering and I will get about the same results. So one is on the way I'll have to let you know how it goes.  I got it from Amazon.  I really don't want to attach solar panels to my van since I'm not traveling all the time...this I can carry when I need it and when I don't it can store in the shed. Although it is a great emergency tool also. Check it out here DieHard

I Had a day trip on the 9th...Like I mentioned I'm keeping my eye on the ebird alerts just in case something interesting pops up that I can go hunt for....but this one I actually found on Birding in SC Facebook group I follow, a guy posted some awesome shots he took at Bear Island.  I have posted about Bear Island WMA  (wildlife management area) maybe a few times before on this blog.  It's about 2 1/2 hrs south down the dreaded I-95 to the Low Country.  I kinda decided to go last minute.  AND amazing we've had a couple days of lower humidity so it was windows down all the way south!

Spanish moss on the trees

I arrived about 11:30 am the breeze hung around till about 1:30 then it began to warm up but I still had a nice day out.  Some mosquitoes, and 2 ticks attacked me!  My skin is still crawling!   


At the Kiosk, you sign in and there's a comment card....'More Birding Access Please' was my comment...every time I go here it's locked gates and the reeds are so tall there is no place to view the open water,  the old rice fields...just a wee bit of mowing, maybe a boardwalk...throw us birders a bone please, they cater to the hunters, and yet we birders  get no special treatment. They plow tracks and plant crops to bring in geese, and ducks that over winter here that is for the hunters, because in the fall they close the main gate to anyone except hunters with special permits!  Who knows my comment may help.  It's a fantastic place but the drives are always gated and locked so you don't get to cover as much ground as you'd like.  I took one long hike to find the majority of the waterfowl at the Pecan Tree Road area, hench the ticks! shudder


Eastern Kingbird

The water level is controlled by these canals and wood structures called trunks...

they can open and close them


these roseate spoonbills look like cotton candy up on these posts...



The pink is already beginning to fade as breeding season passes...





a good look at the underside of that awesome spoonbill





The wood storks were feeding even farther away so I was happy when a few flew over me way up high so this is cropped...but it's cool to see the underside too!


Anhinga were scattered here and there and this one flew over me too...see his big webbed feet...




This moorhen,  (common gallinule) came prancing across the road...



Showing off her big green feet!

This shot was quite distant and right out in the bleaching sun, but check it out...I call this Standing Room Only!


L > R We have Royal Tern, Laughing Gull, Forster's Tern, Ring Billed Gull, Great Egret, Ring Billed Gull


Saw some Tri-Colored Herons out there too 



There's an ocean of sweet grass here...and if you have ever visited Charleston SC you know the awesome work of the Gullah, descendants of long ago slaves from Africa who settled on the barrier islands of SC.  They have their own language, culture, and they're artisans with great talent passed down through generations. 




Times were that as you drove down to the low country on the old tarmac you would see self made 3 sided roadside stands and in those would be the women weaving their sweet grass baskets and  all displayed for sale. I purchased such a basket many yrs ago...and I still have it.  I imagine you might find a few stands still around, but most artists take their arts n crafts down in the Market Place in Charleston.  That is a fun thing to do if you find yourself footloose in that lovely city.  One that now is becoming overcrowded and heavy with stalled traffic.  

In the above photo do you see just down from center a little rock looking thing in the water?  I did too, so I zoomed in...hello!




Just a young one about 2 ft long, I didn't see any large adults this time...wonder where they were?...another reason I don't like having to wade thru tall sea grass to get to the water's edge to see the birds.

This is one viewing platform on the  refuge...


It's right by the road so I've never seen anything in this area, maybe a Great Blue Heron or some coots on occasion.   It is a beautiful view tho...



One cool thing about trying to see over the grass is seeing all these dragon flies sitting up like pinwheels on the stems....I found 11 in this one photo!  The air was thick with them!




This one caught my eye..especially the red dots on the wing tips...

And the name is even more eye catching, its a Halloween Pennant, (Celithemis Eponina Drury)

Avocet 


These 4 showed up and I can't figure why ebird said it's rare...beause I've never been here without seeing Greater and sometime Lesser Yellow Legs too...hmmm  This is Greater yellow legs in breeding plumage note the barring across the flanks and down onto the belly 






WAY up high had 4 Mississippi Kites...Only one got close enough for a photo...and I had to crop it to even show this to you 


And along with those 4 was the bird I went down to find, it is not rare they do breed here but I had never seen one so now I have...

also a heavy crop of the lifer........Swallow Tailed Kite! 






And what a beauty!!  An amazing flyer!  Easy to see where he got the name...

He swooped...he tucked and dove....



#447

And then swiftly flew far away!  Another day spent out in nature, my Savior!



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

14 comments:

  1. Hello, awesome birds and photos. I love the Spoonbills and the lineup of egret, terns and gulls. The Kite is a favorite too. A great spot for birding, I enjoyed your post and photos. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen! I really like the posts with the line up of varying species, they were far away but with the binoculars I got a very good look. I was happy the STKI came down lower so I could get some shots of him he was so fast!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the Swallow-tailed!!! I'm still waiting to cross paths with one. I love that shot of all the birds on the pilings. Looks like a really nice day trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, I have been hoping to see this Kite, so when a guy posted some photos to the birding FB page I immediately messaged him he told me he had seen it the day before so I packed in the morning and zoomed down there! Funny thing was I didn't find him till I had given up and was headed back to the entrance to head home and I decided to make one more stop in the area where I thought he was and Sure glad I did!!

      Delete
  3. These places really do cater to hunters don’t they? I know this one is called a Wildlife Management Area but often reserves are called National Wildlife Reguges. Refuge seems like an odd term to use when a bunch of yahoos with guns are blasting away at the birds seeking refuge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true David, I am not a hunting sympathizer either, and I believe Birders spend more money in communities than hunters do when they come in to view birds and other wildlife. We need a political clean sweep!

      Delete
  4. I love the shots you get when the birds are in flight, for some reason I can not get these great shots I usually lose the birds. That Kite is so gorgeous. I'm happy you are still getting to do day trips. Keeps me happy and I know it does you too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! I was so happy I got these air shots cause the birds were way across the water from where I was able to stand.

      Delete
  5. That looks a handy piece of kit for the van Sondra, very versatile. Great shot of the kite, they are beautiful. The Red Kite here, was saved from just a few in Wales and is now very very widespread. I like the shot of the birds on the posts, what a collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH I'd love to see a Red Kite! I do think this Battery Pak will be just the answer for me for a while anyways! I'll keep ya posted and I've link it up after my sis suggested it.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic photos what a beauty the Kite is! It looks like a good place for birds, you'd think it could be managed a little better! Don't get me started on hunting.........I just don't get it :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam we share the same opinion on hunting...not just bird but any kind puts my blood to boil. I do wish they would manage it better! Even if they charged a $5 day use fee people would gladly pay that in exchange for some viewing areas, a couple blinds on the water, a few trails that are nicely mown!

      Delete
  7. Great birding day in spite of the fact that they don't make things easy for you. Yeek on the ticks. Be careful out there. That picture 'standing room only' is a little miracle -- every post a different species. Could not be more perfect. Thank you again for your help on my Pacific Loons.... I'm not a very good birder and really appreciate those who are!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, the ticks were a def turn off! One bit my neck just below the hair line I've been putting alcohol in it..and finally it's gone. One reason I knew your Loon was a Pacific is I need that one! It is a huge hole in my list. The whitish feathering on the back of the neck was a clue, I'm in the same boat I need help a lot of times too!! Like I'm 100% sure I saw the Sinaloa Wren down in AZ but I got no photo to confirm...even tho I did not see anyone elist any other wrens on that trail. I saw it for a split second.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!