Sunday, June 3, 2018

Memorial Field Day

Some of the change I eluded to is my Mom is on her way back to SC as I type this...my sister M who lives in Greenville flew over rented an SUV that we filled to the max with all mom's things, we have made the decision to move her back to SC for now.  Sure do miss her but I'll be seeing her again soon! Meanwhile I spent my Memorial Day creating memories. 

I figured I'd hit...all of what I consider my local patches here,  Like Harvey Gap.  Right off the bat Clark's Grebe!! Yessir!  The photo is a little fuzzy but they were pretty far out on the water he/she was with a couple Western Grebes. 



#442 Clark's Grebe.

It's one of those things like the first time you see the Empire State Building you don't realize the difference between it and other sky scrapers till your eyes see it. Now I see the difference the bright orange bill the brighter white face, the duller back it's all there.   Of course this bird is rare for here but not unheard of...I saw reports from previous years and one on the Colorado list over at Rifle Gap last week so I checked there next....

BINGO! 







Another one!  Swimming with Westerns...(Clark's in the background) 



I did my little celebratory sound ca-ching, also around lots of Violet Green Swallows, 2 Eared Grebes too far for decent photos, I didn't stay long because I didn't want to have to buy a day pass...I had to return my library pass last Monday.  I wanted to check Fravert Reservoir next. 

Most of the ducks have moved on, had one mallard pair, one cinnamon teal maybe a mate in the reeds and one Gadwall also maybe a mate in the reeds...
There were more Bullock's Oriole's than ducks...




Also had lots of Western Kingbird, Red-winged Blackbird, European Starlings, Yellow Warblers, and tons of Barn Swallows around. 

PHOTO MISSING
Red-winged blackbird Female

E. Starlings 



with the long primaries, Western Wood Pewee

I moved over to Lions Park at the Rest Area to check on the birds there...



Black Headed Grosbeak





The 2 pairs of nesting Osprey are doing good.  One is feeding young and the other was still on her eggs when I went there on Memorial day I will check her again before I leave.  This nest is across the river and pretty far away but she is clearly feeding young. 
The cactus are all in Bloom....some yellow and some pink...




Had a spotted sandpiper down by the Colorado river that runs right behind the rest area....





And walking back to my van had this Wild Turkey in a tree...




I've got one more post I hope to get prepared and schedule to post sine I'm leaving on Thursday.  My letter C has been sticking lately so I hope I found all of the missing ones. 


I left my sister's on Thursday 5/31 So as you read this I am out there somewhere... my plan is to stay in Colorado for about 14 days, and drift from county to county mostly in the northern and eastern counties,  hoping to fulfill some of the gaps in my bird goal before heading east...I will update if I can make that happen...I have one more scheduled post to share with you...


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. Hello, Colorado is a beautiful state to tour. Congrats on the Grebe sighting. I love the Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeak. I saw the Violet-green swallows once but I would love another look at them. The cactus blooms are beautiful. It is not often I see a turkey in a tree. Happy birding, enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really en joyed seeing the turkey in the tree and I walked right underneath her.

      Delete
  2. i remember well my own first Clark’s Grebe - and a special moment it was too. You are obviously having a great trip and will have many great memories to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, I recall replying to this but I dont see it here...I did have a wonderful spring and now its into the hot muggy summer, so it's yard work and etc till fall.

      Delete
  3. The Grebe's are so beautiful and graceful looking. You sure captured lots of great birds on this trip. Be safe on your travels seeing more sights and I sure hope you find the rest of the birds you are looking for while still in CO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I am home now I sort of cut things sort due to the heat wave...and the birds did not co-operate as I had hoped!

      Delete
  4. I love watching grebes too as they are so graceful and elegant. Have a great time putting some more miles on the van. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dave! Yep the van performed really well on this trip not too many problems, had to get brakes, and 2 tires, and on the last mile of my trip my headlights keep blinking when on high beam..so that is something I need to figure out!

      Delete
  5. Lovely memories to create and what a beautiful bird the Grebe is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I was so very excited to finally see this Grebe, I left before they had young around tho and that was something I had hoped to see.

      Delete
  6. Such adventures! I want to be just like you when I grow up 😉! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA...I was thinking I'd want to be like you!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!