Friday, June 15, 2018

Arapaho - CO State Forest - Poudre




Arapaho National Wildlife Refuge is a large place.  There is an auto tour and with the dogs onboard that is my best choice...it's about 6 miles and the terrain is mostly dry scrub and then there are lots of ponds.  Nearby is the Illinois River.  We drove Area 4 first.  and at the end was this cool barn...








Found this large nest inside but nothing was in it...


Must be from last year or earlier this spring...

This refuge is part of the North Park a region with 4 areas set aside mostly for hunting...







White tailed Prairie Dogs are an endangered or threatened species here...

How cute they are and how beneficial to the soil of our Prairies...

I saw a lot of waterfowl here but honestly the wind kept my photo taking to a minimum and the ones I got are pretty shaky, hand held in a strong wind means movement...but here is what I got.  Lots of American Wigeon in the ponds




Thought I had an Eurasian but it ended up being a fading plumage Green Winged Teal who was flirting with a Wigeon!   Had this Northern Pintail with his amazing tail up and showing off...




and here is the front end...





There was more than one of these guys below....but they hide out pretty good. 




The Savannah Sparrow watched the world go by from the reeds...and farther in the back Wilson's Phalarope busy doing their little circles in the water dance, about 8 in total.





I like these blackbirds flying all over this Western Gull he has a surprised look on his face..lol




Drifting along with the tumbling tumble weed...
Happy Trails!




Hi Lady!




On the way out of the area saw this Redtail in a windmill...




there's no place like home eh?




Then it was time to head on down the road, still on Hwy 14 going east..
I highly recommend this Scenic Drive, 




If I had it to do over again I'd spend my whole 14 days rambling right along this Highway...it was cool , and the birds were out and active,  but since I'm headed home I have to go  East so next along our path is the
  Colorado State Forest, and the Routt National Forest  for our  camp for the night.  I had high hopes of Rosy Finch (all 3 have been recorded here more Brown Capped than Gray Crowned or Black) but I think I was about 2 weeks late getting here.  Figure they were nesting and done with their big groups feeding on the ground. 




That's our spot for the night...and in the morning we had Frost! Boy it was cold overnight... but it warmed up pretty quick, 


While I made hot coffee a Wilson's Warbler flew in  and soon was joined by 2 more...their curiosity got the best of them and out they came to see us. 




Western Wood Pewee...he was puffed up




After Breakfast we drove to the Moose Visitor's Center 


and out back they have feeders this is where the Rosy Finch were reported about 2 weeks earlier, on this day we had plenty of Pine Siskin, Cassin's and Purple Finch and along with American Goldfinch. 



                                                                       Pine Siskin

                                                             And Broad Tailed Hummers...




I took a short hike on this Ranger Lakes Trail,  it starts right out back 




I didn't go far since Floss was barking her head off in the van I could hear her the entire time, hard to concentrate with all that going on...I found a Steller's Jay, Black Capped Chickadee, and more Yellow Warblers. and as best I could tell this looks to be a Hammond's Flycatcher. 


Cornell Labs says; "Look for a large step between secondary and primaries" 


I downloaded the Free Audubon Field App onto my phone it could come in handy when comparing songs and calls.  This one never made a sound...of course my phone was in the van... I normally just blunder along and think of things such as that later. SO if it's not a Hammond's I'm sure ebird will let me know.   

So I decided to just drive up to Ranger Lakes...it is the next stop in the CO State Forest.




There's several High Alpine snow fed lakes there, all stunningly beautiful.  




One had a pair of Common Merganser ...the male flew away but the female stuck around to be featured on my blog!



It was a short hike so I went back to the van and got the girls and they got a walk too..Casey was sleeping...like a baby with one of the fans circulating the cool air, I really would have enjoyed a nap myself, but instead I had another 1/2 mile hike with the girls. 










You can see the Crag's across one of the lakes, this is a very popular hike I didn't go up there because I had just taken a 2 hikes, and I got a good look at the Crag's from the road.  There is a campground up there too. 





Up over Cameron Pass we moved on...


The locals said they had a mild winter so not as much snow as they wanted that provides most of the moisture they get..a little farther down is the Joe Wright Reservoir and it was still icy and plenty of snow around...maybe it normally get 3 times this I don't know!









Tiny Alpine flowers

The next Awesome sight along 14 east is the Cache La Poudre River
One of Colorado's many Wild and Scenic Rivers.  The road follows the river for approximately 75 miles. 




It is a rough and tumble river for sure...I did see some rafts out in certain areas...I stopped to see the sluice style Poudre Falls..







Will pick up with more sights in my next post. 



PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

14 comments:

  1. What beautiful and diverse countryside. I like those prairie dogs and as you say they are so necessary in maintaining the soil structure. Some of the birds I can compare to those here. I love it when you have the snow capped peaks and the warm lowlands in blossom at the same time. My type of country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For beauty you really can't beat Colorado...it has everything except the OCEAN! I think Summer and fall are my favorite seasons, I used to go out and SKI in winter when I was younger and not scared of breaking a bone!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I definitely need to do a Colorado road trip some day, though I think all those prairie dogs would be too much for the dogs to handle. Love all the scenery shots!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jen, my dogs barked at them through the window, and the antelope, and the buffalo, and the cows, and the elk, and the deer....LoL, oh and the people!! And a few time even barked at me.

      Delete
  3. Every time I see a Northern Pintail, I think of elegance. If it were human it would be decked out in a Saville Row suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so beautiful. They remind me of a felt puppet for some reason.

      Delete
  4. Love the old barn of course. What wonderful places you have traveled on your way home. All the beautiful birds, snowy mountains and my favorite trees. The lake witch still has some ice on it and all the other lakes. What a great trip you have taken me on once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I am happy to be home but I sure do miss waking up and wondering "where am I" I realized Montana is the only Western State I haven't camped in! I have not been back to MT since I visited Glacier Park with Mom way back when...I filled in Iowa and Illinois on this trip on my "camped there" map.

      Delete
  5. Hello, you go to the most beautiful places. I love the views and scenery. The birds are awesome too. I would love to see the Wilson's Phalarope. The Prairie Dogs are cute. Great report and photos. Happy birding, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen! All I have done since returning home is work... the yard was almost a jungle from the spring rains! It is nice to hear my yard birds singing and yesterday I got my hummingbird feeder up to see if anyone is around hopefully they will be.

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh the Wilson's Warbler is beautiful! You're having an amazing drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Pam, I was surprised to see 3 together, all males, probably defending territory at that time. Now a couple weeks later they are probably feeding young.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful drive -- and those birds!! There was hardly any snow in the Rockies even hig h up when we were there last month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep everyone told me there was little snowfall, looked a plenty to me, like here that would keep us inside for 2 months...lol

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!