Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Vega...

With my library pass hanging on the rear view I made my way toward Vega State Park, ( A Spanish word meaning....a large plain or valley, typically a fertile and grassy one) I went there last year for a look around and really wanted to camp there.  My sis made the suggestion I take the lesser traveled Collbran/Silt road and so happy that she did that it was such a highlight!! 


On the way there CR 331 takes me through some pretty ranch and farm lands and that means (my favorite) fence post birding and that is never disappointing!  




rare to get a snipe right out in the open like this

And just 4 posts down...



                                                     a tail fanning western meadowlark


Then I take the turn onto 330 East.  It's a dirt road that travels 40 miles through the White River National Forest, I saw quite a few wildflowers finally starting to show...I love dandelions and so do bees.  



FS 330 East Gulch Road

                         had a warbling vireo singing and hiding in one of these white blossom shrubs




                                              Big Chiming Bells,,,,so appropriately named.



And  Tall Larkspur 


Which is said to be poisonous to cattle...

And this unlucky soul is memorialized here...follow the link on her name to read the sad story. 




Stopped here at the almost halfway point to let Casey out for a stretch and had one myself...




A who knows the name of this lovely yellow flower, some kind of sunflower?


  I arrive at Vega State Park to find the lake level is down compared to my visit here last year



...and not as many birds around either...saw a few tho and enjoyed every single one...like this what I originally called a Mottled duck I just stopped looking once I saw the black at the gape of the bill, I should have not taken that for granted as the reviewer on ebird pointed me to the rear of the bird and the white and black which makes this a Mallard/Mexican Hybrid...okay even better! 
And a fine looking duck he is too!  Had him a summer fling going on...


There was plenty of open sites in all except the Electric Loop so I tried out a few and settled on this spot on up on the hill where the wind was not hitting directly it had picked up considerably...white caps even.  When I took my afternoon siesta it was so relaxing with the awesome lake view and the peace and quiet. 





Across the lake the Aspen Trees are really leafing out..and it sure makes the hillside nice...
That Osprey nest is occupied, glad to say.  


Before we called it a day we took a few more photos of the lake..and a little drive around...


I picked up the Dusky Flycatcher here a horrid record shot didn't matter!  Why does my camera always not focus when it's so important?





  That was my 2nd lifer since my arrival in CO this spring, (with the 3 Baird's Sandpipers a couple weeks ago)...had lots of Mountain Bluebird and White Crowned Sparrows in the trees.  (a quick edit here...this is the dark lore sub species of the white crowned, and the beak is a more maroon color than yellow I have only recently learned this as I am not so much into the "science" of birds but since I came west more and more on the Colorado Ebird Rare list this one makes the list.  So I guess it matters)   


in the woods edge, some mule eared deer...





one in a hurry crosses the road...while this Marmot has taken up an outpost position on the top of an abandoned and collapsed shack... 


How's the view from there?



Red-Tailed Hawk


Then this stream ran right across the road so I turned back....a 4 x 4 like my old 1984 Bronco II would have come in handy here...if I had't traded it back in 1997.  Somethings we really should hold onto never know when you will wish you had it!



We rolled into our spot  for good, we had a great view.. 
 That was about the end of our day....

In the morning we had a really pretty sunrise


Breakfast done and we were ready to explore...Casey is getting old he can't go on hikes any more... so after his walk I put him in the cool shade, and he took his after breakfast nap while I took a hike on the lake trail.   


SO many Yellow Warblers, Yellow-Rumped Warblers of Audubon and Myrtle subs and more White Crowned Sparrows and lots of Broad Tailed Hummers trrrrrrrrrillllling and zooming around.  Had one trying to feed off my red plaid shirt too close for a photo...then looking up at this wire I spotted a Black Chinned.


Puffed up against the morning chill...

the filtered light was so pretty...
HELLO...I think he was warming up 






 a woods serenade...
 a solo performed by the Green Tailed Towhee! Enjoy.



after lunch we headed to The Grand Mesa over 10,000 ft...up next. 

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. Hello, I think your found a great place and spot to camp. The birds and scenery are all beautiful. I would love to see the Green-tailed Towhee. Happy birding, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen! Nothing beats a good quiet place to enjoy nature and relax, a no stress zone!

      Delete
  2. The picture of the Wilson’s Snipe on the post is almost iconic for me. Nine springs out of ten that’s the way I see my first snipe. And the winnowing sound they make with their feathers is sweet music indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my home county back in SC they are rare to find anymore even in the grass, so this was a real treat for me.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful place to visit. All the wonderful birds, other little critters like the marmot and the mule deer. Loved the video and his lovely song. Thanks for taking me along once again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an awesome day and a half exploring in Vega, it is a really nice park.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen a Snipe anywhere other than the ground before, a great photo! How lovely to have such an experience with the Hummingbirds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, and the Broad Tailed hummer makes such a loud trill it was an amazing experience for sure!

      Delete
  5. Lots of new birds for me on this trip! Thanks for taking me along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe all the wildlife you see. Like those two wonderful birds on the fence posts -- most of us would just drive by without really seeing what kind of bird they were. You just amaze me! Wonderful lifer and all the birds and flowers at that Park. Great to have the Library pass too! I was hoping you'd show us how you made use of it -- and wow, did you ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent most of my life in the woods, as a child that's where you'd find me and not much has changed in that respect. I'd rather be out and about in nature than just about any other place.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!