Thursday, May 3, 2018

Real Time

Finally I'm up to real time in my blog, or at least very close....I hate that I was not able to blog in real time while on the road as my memory is quick to fog these days.  I had no way to look up facts or info on the places I visited, I did a lot of research ahead of time,  I took way too many photos and it took me forever to get them posted to Flickr.

                                                                  Western Meadowlark 



All in all I had a great trip although I found and lost Spring somewhere in TX.   Southeast AZ is a fine birding area....I'd like to go spend like 2 weeks there!   
Some spots I missed like the Cattle Pens in Red Rock I just don't think I can do that even tho I went right past the area...I would want to set all those poor animals FREE.  And I didn't make the extra  mileage to hit Tonapah for the Thrashers.  I’ve heard they are all there.  You just can't do everything when you have other obligations.  Time was an issue for me. 

Brown Headed Cowbird.

Since my arrival in Colorado I have been laying pretty low.  Spring is SOOOOOOOoooooo far away from here as yet.  It has snowed more days than I've seen the sun...one day we had everything: rain, sleet, hail, snow, swirling snow, blowing snow, straight down snow,,,,and HIGH winds! The snow is not sticking it just makes mud. Which means muddy dog feet! OM. 


One night we lost the power due to a lightening strike during a wind storm.  So my search for spring ended in Texas! 


AZ had some warm days but the nights I froze down there.  The trouble with having the dogs in the van, if no electric site, I can't use the Mr Buddy heater, an open flame around dogs in a small space---not good!  I had an electric heater I gave to my son...The one I replaced it with sucked, so I must pick up a better one.   
Since there is no wifi where I currently am...I've been creating my text in Notepad... then pasting into Blogger and adding the photos to Flickr at the Rifle Library, 



...it is a really nice library I can get wifi parked outside and when my laptop battery needs a charge there is a nice bench in the lobby where I can plug in.  Mom can "people watch" or come in which ever she wants normally she likes to sit in the van safely locked in and people watch...I'm only the sliding door away from her parked just outside the door in the handicapped spot I can see the van from my bench.  
On the days that have been good we visited some of my favorite haunts around here.  

We went to Fravert Reservoir and enjoyed some pretty good waterfowl there...





                                                                         cinnamon teal



                                                                         ring necked ducks

Drove a couple roads in Hubbard Mesa Public Lands




                                            Drove past the fields and saw some nice posts birds....




                                                                          Say's Phoebe



                                                                       mountain bluebird




Went to Silt Island Park and had some good ducks but far away...Common Merganser,  American Wigeon, and Canada Geese.  This is the Colorado River. 




The Osprey at the Rest Area is hanging out at the same nest where the twins were last year...hope to see some action there before we leave.  


We spent a little time at Rifle Gap again the lake is much fuller than last summer.  




The Magpies eyed up some grapes we left for them...


Then we drove a couple miles over to Harvey Gap.  We found some Western Grebes, a couple of Common Loons, White Faced Ibis, American Avocets, and 2 Willet ebird classified as rare.  I'm pretty sure I saw some there last yr too not sure I turned in a list for that visit. 




                                                                          Western Grebe


                                                    American avocet and western willet

 If the weather improves it would help.
The trip netted me 16 new birds...Currently I'm at 437. 



More to come!

PEACE

                                                Every day is a new Adventure.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely photographs you've shared, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. CO. is so beautiful and all the pretty lakes and beautiful birds. I try to keep a written journal with me or at least a pad to write things down until I can post on line. You are having some crazy weather there. But the snow helps some with the drought at least here it might.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep there has been plenty of moisture hope it will help with the fire season here! I write everything down but sometimes it's a short version.

      Delete
  3. Good shots of the local birds and some familiar ones too. From Google, Rifle looks a nice town and although the weather is still not good at your'e with family. I bet your Mom was pleased to see you and to spend time with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rifle is small... it has some trendy spots but mostly I enjoy the outdoors...Mom has some extreme memory problems now so she doesn't always know who I am...but we are making the most of our time together it is mentally challenging for all of us including her...I won't rose color it over and say it's the most awesome time it is part of life.

      Delete
  4. The warm weather was nice while it lasted eh! It should start warming up soon for shouldn't it? Nice photos of the birds, the Bluebird is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam the Sunny days are interspersed with the rain, mist and various weather like high wind...Now that May has arrived it should stabilize somewhat. I hope!

      Delete
  5. Sorry the weather hasn't been too spring-like, but wow that scenery is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is beautiful to the eye even on a snowy day it's something to behold!

      Delete
  6. Awww love that heart with thorns! Great metaphor for life doncha' think?

    Wonderful birds, sorry the weather hasn't cooperated more. How long will you be in Colorado? Are you staying with your sister? I need to look up where this town is -- thought I knew the state, sort-of. We'll be there the second week in June (in Boulder County).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cacti stole my heart! It was so lovely because it was during the last day of my trip so it was like the perfect metaphor for the way I was feeling. I will be leaving here the end of May but I plan to travel for about 2 weeks or so before heading back to SC. If I get close to your location I will def give you a shout out!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!