Friday, May 18, 2018

NOT a Bird Post.

There is not one bird in this post for a reason....sometimes one just needs a change of topic...
It is great fun when you find out something new you didn't know...so here is something that just crossed my mind, in my Family I have always been called by my nickname Sondy (pronounced: Saundy)...so there now you know something new about me! 

Here's something else you may or may not know...Around here I see people walking along the grassy verge of fields carrying big knives!  Big hunting knives, Bowie knives, Butcher knives....yikes and  WOW! Sometimes it's one person sometimes a small group, or even an entire family...maybe in your area if you saw such a sight you would lock your door and roll up your window and step on the gas... but here you stop, roll your window down, and ask "any luck"?

By now you're probably saying wth?
No I'm not pulling your leg, it's just another little known fact, something only the ones who live here know. 

Yesterday my sister and I joined the ranks, no it's not zombie killing or car jacking on the side of the road here in this part of Colorado  (maybe where you live too). 

....in this grassy verge lies a delicious secret.....



Big healthy, gorgeous, organic Asparagus.  

Here is one haul my sis picked a couple weeks back...it was delicious!



Steamed with a little lemon juice Yum Yum. 

The picking window is quite narrow, in fact most plants have already begun to bolt or go to seed...and someone had picked her favorite spots but we found a few they missed.  You look for last years brown and withered stems and normally you can find the new plant right there...

                                                                Last years old stems



And here is the plant just cut the tops and take them home.  Our haul on this day....


SO we have this bag sitting in the fridge waiting to become part of a delicious meal.  Last year when I was here my sis and we planted a fall crop of Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce in a big tub.  She got a good harvest and then winter covered the tub with snow and when it melted the lettuce started to grow again!  We've been enjoying the tender leaves in our salads.  



So more organic home grown deliciousness.  And check this out....here is another free treat!  The Colorado Library system has this program called  Check Out State Parks.  It is a backpack ...



You check it out like a book! Inside is all this cool stuff...



Inside: there's a little 10 x 25 pair of binoculars, 2 really nice field guides for plants and animals, and a parks pass this is a $49 value!  This pass covers your Day Use Fee into the State Parks currently here $7.  So I'm thrilled we have it.  We had our name on the wait list for a while and they called.  So it's ours for 7 whole days!

Included is a questionnaire  they want filled out upon the return, it is a simple "what did you do" sort of thing.  So right away we headed to Rifle Gap State Park!  


I think it was take your dog boating day!





I think a dog was driving that red boat...


We had a fun Day! 

PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

15 comments:

  1. Hello, I love asparagus, yum! The photos of the park and lake are beautiful. I loved seeing all the dogs navigating the waters. Great photos. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I really love Asparagus, it has to be cooked just right tho I don't like it mushy or under cooked.

      Delete
  2. What an awesome idea for the library! Glad you were able to take advantage. Weird about the asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES it is a great bargain. Back home we pick plums and black berries so it's a bit different to pick Asparagus!

      Delete
  3. What a fun post -- had no idea you could find wild asparagus like that anywhere! Wonderful. And that is the best idea for a library checkout ever (well, you know, not counting books, which I still enjoy!). But what a fabulous thing for the Library and Parks to do!! I love it. Also the dogs, water, and the lettuce!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sallie! Those dogs look right at home on the water! Hope you can find some Asparagus next Spring if you come through CO.

      Delete
  4. I went to buy asparagus today, but I needed a second mortgage on the house so I opted for broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so expensive right? We saved a small fortune!

      Delete
  5. Asparagus has become one of my favorite veggies, but like David said the price has gone to the moon. Love the library fun kit, I know you and your sister will have a great time. Maybe you can get the dogs to high jack a boat and take you ladies for ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! I can just see that...Casey at the wheel.

      Delete
  6. The back pack is a great idea. We're in Scotland for a while. Back at the end of the month so will catch up then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dave, good to see you hope you are having an awesome trip!

      Delete
  7. What a fantastic idea for the back pack! I must admit i've only tried asparagus once and it was awful but I think I overcooked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam...I do think the back pack idea should be something all libraries should do this...to encourage knowledge and appreciation of the natural world as well as the intellectual one! So my tip on the perfect cooking is to keep checking the asparagus by cutting a little piece off and check for tenderness, when it's tender but still has a firm appearance its perfect.

      Delete
    2. Yes, something like that for our National Parks here would be a great idea! Thanks, i'll have to give the asparagus another try, everyone sings its praises :)

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!