Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Highline Lake Mesa County, CO



I like to try and photo the sign of a park, for 2 reasons one, it tells me what photos follow and to remind me where I was! This time I forgot to snap one of the official sign at the park entrance but I did take the trail sign..I drove to Mesa County and the town of Loma, it's only a stones toss from the Utah Border to Highline Lake State Park.  I hoped to find Burrowing Owls in this area they have been reported recently and it's only an hrs drive, but didn't  see nary a one!  But there was plenty of other good things to enjoy so didn't walk away empty handed.



                                                                          Site #5

Over in that clump of trees is the "crampground"...(pun intended) Yet again I arrive on a Holiday Weekend...Mother's Day!  I will be back for Mother's Day, this was Friday when I arrived...I'm only staying one night this time...I'll be gone by the time the generators kick in. 



Casey and I ended up in site 5 the last available spot! Thursday is not a good day anymore to find a camp spot unless you plan to boondock.  I really wanted shade tho....because in this area the public lands  is open arid and sunny.  It's perfect for Prairie Dogs and Burrowing Owls do take up residence. I'm sure some were hiding out of the wind in their burrows.  

  


This is 2 & 8/10 road, one BUOW was spotted on this fence line but on Thursday a dry hot wind blew so hard Horn Larks had trouble hanging on...riding the wire  was surfing a wave.




The road ends here at this bluff...an ATV could probably continue but I turned around...





There is no bad view here..and more prairie species of bird hanging out like the Western Meadow Lark. 
I'm supposing, I am not so worried to separate Eastern from Western in this case.  

  

This awesome desert prairie road is off Old Highway 50 and 6 and there is Public Land access here... McInnis Canyon National Conservation Area.  75,000 acres of wilderness!  I took the Sidewinder Road and was rewarded by this awesome wildflowers...


Mostly it's Orange Globe Mallow, and the pinky white specks are what I know as Mariposa Lilly and there was some blue, yellow, and white  tossed in as well none of which I know the name of. 












That dark spot is on my lens, it looks like smoke but its not...


It got hot so we headed back to the lake where cool breezes made it feel really nice.  This lady decided to fly a kite.. I decided to check the lake for birds...



A couple of Great Tailed Grackles entertained me with all those weird sounds and whistles they make; one sound reminds me of when cars crash on the highway...




In the morning after a fairly quiet night,  I drove over to the other side of the lake to make breakfast and enjoy the peace and solitude of a sun coming up behind clouds over the lake.  





Soon a few boaters came out to disturb the calm waters.  


Some quietly and eventually the not so quiet arrived.  



After breakfast I got things back in it's place and started birding along the laketrail and the coves.. four Bullock's Orioles came around...  




Flocks of mixed gulls came in, too far away for decent looks, but there was Franklin's, Ring Billed, California, and even a couple of big Herring Gulls in the mix. 




and a large flock (about 40 in total)  of Western Grebe with an Eared tossed in for flavor...



Overhead a large flock of what I assume to be White Faced Ibis flew over... the afternoon before a flock of about 75 did the same thing  they didn't land either. 



Northern Mocking with different mimics than what I'm used to hearing back east serenaded me. 



The upper end has a small lake called Mack Mesa Lake.  


Found three Snowy Egrets up there...



Barn Swallows not in large numbers like the Northern Rough Wing and the Violet Green Swallows over by the dam.  



In shallow dried mud a Killdeer was faking a nest site to draw me off and a small number of Spotted Sandpiper flushed away.  





In the afternoon I visited this area...





The wind picked up again so not much was out and about...had quite a few Lark Sparrows holding on and singing...




A nice Swainson's Hawk watched from atop...

...and up on this wire the Loggerhead Shrike. 



It really is a beautiful area to explore...
Casey and I made a couple of stops for him to get out and stretch and I explored a few rocky areas, sooo
very beautiful 



And that was my overnight trip!  The drive home was easy but tiring, and I was glad to be back...
Here is something from last week, a courtship video, a special moment between 2 courting Cedar Waxwings!




So much more is coming up....


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

10 comments:

  1. Hello, Sondra! Another great outing and trip! I love the beautiful views and scenery. The birds and wildflowers are all beautiful. Nice video of the Waxwings. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen. I'm trying to amass a small collection of bird
      behavior and song short videos...I have a lot to upload and I need to get busy and do it. Thanks for your visit!

      Delete
  2. A beautiful place to bird ... how great to be able to get to places like this on a weekend!!! And I am absolutely in love with the waxwing video!!! Watching waxwings feed each other holly berries in our Oregon yard (in our former life) was what first sparked my interest in taking bird classes, buying books, putting up feeders etc etc..... I didn't even have a camera back then. They're still pretty much my favorite bird ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Waxwings are just amazing birds to watch and as for sheer beauty they rank WAY up there! I'm sure you will see them in your new digs...find a tree full of berries!

      Delete
  3. I have travelled this area and it is great both aesthetically and as a place for great birding. I always enjoy seeing Swainson's Hawks - such a majestic raptor, and of course we don't see them in the east.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sis used to live near Aspen...so I've explored that area in the past so now I am enjoying exploring the Western side of the state...extremely diverse.

      Delete
  4. The lakes are so beautiful and then the birds you found again. BUT the wild flowers are breathtaking especially the first picture. Of course I love the video of the Waxwings so adorable the passing of the seed. I'm enjoying your journey as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo hope you're having a good week so far this week it's gorgeous weather hard to be inside so even if we're not going out we sit in the shade and listen to the birds sing and visit the feeders. I have plans to go exploring tomorrow can't wait to look for more spring flowers.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful place and some lovely birds, I love the Orioles. The Waxwing courtship is a delight, i've been watching Great Tits here feeding each other seeds from my feeder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great tit is a lovely bird I'd enjoy watching them I for sure. Today I hit a close by spot and was able to capture the black headed grosbeak singing hope it came out good its still n the camera!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!