Thursday, December 14, 2017

Blue Sky Smiling at ME!

 Are you in the mood for another of my DIY projects??

I mentioned I was freshening up Mom's Screen porch while she is away.
so I kinda worked on it when I wanted to and weather permitting.   I'm doing  this because it really needed to be done. It's not normally in this much of a jumble...I took this photo after I began sliding things around...

 

It's a simple lean to style porch, screened, and on a cement slab.  She had it added in the late 80's early 1990's? If I recall.  The uprights needed to be repainted so I did that I tightened up the screen in some spots...the screening needs to be completely replaced it has a lot of rusty crusty spots on it, but I think it can go a little longer...split up the cost since all the lattice and screen would need to be removed, new screen, and new lattice put up.   This time I'm concentrating on the ceiling and floor. 


You can see how it was exposed rafters in the humidity of summer it mildews.  I have to spray a harsh mildew killer up there to kill it otherwise the entire ceiling gets coated.


That photo ^above^ shows what I mean, the cleaned and uncleaned difference...and you can see how yukky it gets!  AND not to mention the nails used for this were too long and they rust and look pretty bad!! Even tho I didn't think I could enclose this ceiling by myself I decided to give it a try!  You know me I am game for trying.  I started with the roof overhang first...it's a 2 ft overhang which is great it keeps rain from splashing onto the floor and it's perfect spot to hang plants in the summer.
That part was  pretty easy.   I cleaned the gutter and the trim around the roof edge too since that also needed to be done...Then I started on the inside, putting up the full sized sheets was a real challenge!! It took me to the 3rd sheet to figure out an easier way...the size of the porch is approx. 16.6 by 9.6 ft.  In addition to the full sheets an additional 18 inches had to be added at the low end.   

long board on left and swivel board right

I figured out if I screwed up a long board on the high end and a swivel board on the low end it was way easier.  With the long board in place I could lift then slide one end of the sheet up to the wall then drag the ladder over with my foot, climb one step up while holding the bottom edge of the sheet,  and reach up to swivel the other piece of wood over the end, and that held it in place like an extra pair of hands!  Instead of trying to cut out a piece for the ceiling fan I cut a long piece off the side of a sheet then cut it in half and filled in the spaces on each end of the fan...that worked out easier in the long run...

This is where I got a little slack with the picture taking...But to make a long story short back in the days people used to paint the porch ceilings blue to emulate the sky outside! So that's what I did. I know it's kinda bright! (think Montana Sky) If Mom is not in sinc with the idea it can be repainted in a jiffy...but it needed to be bright and boy--- it is!!



I taped off all the edges with painters tape and made a sky where there was none before! It's growing on me, but at first it was shocking....lol.  It's so hard to pick colors under the florescent lighting in stores! But honestly it makes the porch seem so much brighter overall. 

Once the trim was up it really looked nice...and the bead board adds a character.  My hope is no more mildew to deal with every summer. The paint is a high quality and mildew resistant. I won't be able to get up on ladders and do that cleaning many more years!  Another thing I plan to add is leaf guards to the gutter I found some at Lowe's that I think will work just right. They snap in place NO nailing.


I painted the floor!  Again, I went with color!! The siding on mom's house is a very pale orange sherbert, and the porch wall was painted to match so that wall color was staying. I gave it a wash down.  I found a color in that family...at first I thought safe grey but went in a completely different direction...I think BRIGHT is better.  So even on a cloudy gloomy day, it's cheerful.  Mom likes pastel colors, most of her wardrobe is pastels.  

               
I chose the wrong time of day to take these photos the southern sun comes in strong mid day...but you get the idea.  


I used the scrap to build a box to hold the recycle bins that are normally sitting here and seem to attract clutter...I had everything I needed to build it including the hinges that is great when you open the box the lid stays in the UP position, no head banging!   I placed it by the steps so we need only step out to put the plastic, cardboard, and such into the bins.  And it can be used like a handrail. This will help Mom make it up the steps that go into the house. 


The fan blades also succumbed to the humidity, and came unglued, certainly made it impossible to use the fan. I found 5 new blades at the Habitat Store for $1.50. for the lot. I did cut them down to the shorter length...I  brought one set home realized there was only 4 blades so back for a second bundle of 5. I think I have enough blades now to build a windmill!!  

And I didn't take any before  shots of the chairs, found objects that we have had and used for many seasons...we found them on the side of the road!! These got restained and glossy marine varnish will protect them and the oak round table.  Mom and I made the cushions years ago when we had the upholstery shop going...and they are still in good shape.  I cleaned them and dried them in the sun. We made the table base too, it's cedar, I painted that....and added rollers to make it easier to move around.   

                                                Hi Casey! 


We need one more chair around the table, the other one had a crack so I tossed it awhile back better safe than sorry...so I'm on the look out. It does not have to match, it just needs to be strong and usable. Making it fit in even when it doesn't is part of the fun!  I also think some artwork is needed on the big blank wall...so who knows maybe an art project is in my future? That would drag the eye away from the ugly AC unit that has to be here, unfortunately.  
The new rug is an eco-friendly indoor/outdoor 8 x 6 ft made completely from post consumer plastics! Cost $19 at Lowe's.  I don't know yet if dog hair sticks to it, I HOPE NOT. 


The porch is ready for Spring!! Mom can relax, watch the birds at the feeders,  the trees fill in with spring leaves,  and always have a blue sky over her head!  


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

10 comments:

  1. Another great DIY! you really fixed that up so nice. I know your mom will love it. I wouldn't mind having one like it. I have a porch but it isn't screened in and yes we have skeeters here nasty buggers and boy they love me. Want to come spend some time at my house :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd have that porch of yours screened in by dark-thirty!...haha! We have skeeters, and gnats, and deer flies they bite just as bad sometimes!

      Delete
  2. Sondra, you have amazing skills, you've done a great job. I will be very surprised if your Mom doesn't like it. I have always loved the idea of porches and sitting out there on sunny days / evenings, having a beer, but we just dont have the climate for it, or in my case the space as well. That's a nice little shot of your dog behind the porch door waiting to come in and test the new rug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes climate plays a big role in how much use a porch gets...we have for the most part mild winters I can go out in the afternoon after a day of yard chores or firewood gathering sit on my porch and have a cool drink relax before going inside...without having to get out of my dirty work clothes and shoes so that is really nice!

      Delete
  3. Hello, what a great makeover. I love the color and the bead board. A screened in porch is very nice to have, I think your Mom will love it. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Eileen! IF only we could have afforded the "real" beadboard it would have been much easier to handle one board at a time, but that would put the cost out of reach. These panels are in Lowe's its called Plybead, it's a little rough, you can sand it smoother if you need it smoother, it paints easily and it's not so heavy that I couldn't lift it, I always do a lift test in the store before I buy anything!...it is not pre-finished, runs about $22 per sheet. The prefinished is much harder to use it is heavy and it is not rigid...so must have 2 pairs of hands if you use that.

      Delete
  4. This is fantastic, I love the colours, you've done a great job, i'd love to have a porch like this but I don't have the space and they're not really something you get here so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Porches are a big part of life in the South...every Antebellum home has a porch and many have a wrap around porch...Sitting outside in the afternoon is a great way to end any day. In NYC many people put porches on the roof, because there is no space to build out so they build UP!

      Delete
  5. You are brilliant, your mom is lucky to have you and I love the blue-sky ceiling! And I need that recycle bin on our screen porch. (to the 'honey-do' list because I am not as smart and talented as you are.) I didn't know you and your mom worked together in your upholstery shop... I do kind of remember you used to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah once My mom retired at age 62 she came to work for me! We worked together for 11 yrs! I opened my shop in 1974 and closed it in 2001.

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!