Thursday, October 12, 2017

Cheyenne Bottoms, Great Bend Kansas

Hwy 4 is very scenic with farms dotting the horizon and some have seen better days... I think of a tornado when I see this type scene, wonder how this small structure is still standing, and the windmill is still in operation. 


If you stop at one of the information centers in Kansas you might learn about the Post Rocks.  There is actually a Post Rock Scenic Byway...but you can see post rock almost anywhere in Kansas...


...and it is exactly what you think it is, rock cut to become fence posts...they are not tall...


I think in the beginning it was just land boundary markers, then later wire was added...


Limestone post last for years...and faced with no trees to cut for wood post the rock served it's purpose..

I have driven on I-70 across Kansas SOOOO many times over the years on trips to visit my sis, so this time I did NOT want to see one single mile of Kansas via I-70.  So taking back roads across was my plan and never going near St Louis Missouri was another part of my plan.  So I studied the map to see what else I might find interesting on the back roads of Kansas.  I saw a little blurb called "Cheyenne Bottoms Wildlife Area" right off hwy 4 just a little bit south...so made a bee line for that.  Awesome huge place!! Amazing amount of wading birds, some waterfowl, and white pelicans.   The dirt roads were very rough other than that it was a good auto tour of about 8 miles.  I drove slow and saw what I could from the van,  the reeds were tall and made it a little hard to view the birds...I entered via Great Bend side and exited the tour on the Education Center side...


Hundreds of Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, and some Little Blue Herons were spotted, as well as Great Blue Herons, Ibis Glossy and White Faced...


Glossy Ibis


Snowy Egrets 

the water level in the canals can be raised and lowered by a series of dykes...


wood duck 

Waterfowl I spotted included Cinnamon Teal, Wood Duck, Ruddy Duck, Mallard, Mottled Duck, Canada Goose, Pied Billed Grebe, American Coot., Double Crested Cormorant, to name a few..


Cinnamon Teal



 Ruddy Duck

...and way up high lots of white pelican coming in for landings...the shoreline of the lake was 50 ft deep with white pelicans..I estimated 2,000 but I think that is way short of the reality. 






white Pelicans line the shoreline Thousands of them,

sooo many, awesome to see... also in great numbers were tree swallows & mixed flocks of blackbirds...and lots of Franklin's Gulls. 


Imm Red winged Blackbird 

A flock of Brown Headed Cowbird, and I see at least one Yellow Headed Blackbird in the mix..




So pretty here!




Franklin's Gull

and I spotted this Peregrine who at first I thought was a Prairie Falcon, but the marks under the eye the dark lines going down are in the wrong place and too heavy for Prairie, so I think Immature Peregrine...with a kill, unfortunately a truck pulling a boat passed by so fast it scared the bird and he took off and dropped his kill...hope he was able to retrieve it..



If you happen to be in this area in April they have good Prairie Chicken Lek tours so says the website...
Reservations ONLY so plan early, you can get the info on that link. 




I wasn't as enthusiastic about taking photos on this day I had some problems with my camera, and the day was HOT cruising on those dirt roads with windows down was hard and the dogs were panting so I finally just gave up rolled up the windows put on the AC and left...this would be a great spot to hit about the 3rd week of October!    

I think the miles were catching up with me, so I  traveled only another 40 miles and stopped for the night...found a really great quiet spot...at the Kanopolis Lake Army COE Riverside Park campground a great deal with an electric site costing me only $4. I used the electric to run the fans Kansas was HOT!  The big lake was across the road with a a larger campground, but I just needed a quiet spot to spend the evening and walk the dogs,  a good trail took us down to the Smokey Hill  River, and it had a little waterfall...only about 3 ft high but still it was nice the sound of falling water...




Smokey Hill River


Another cool thing in this campground was all these trees had painted lady butterflies all over the trunks!  Thousands of them..in fact I moved to a site away a  bit to get away from them cause they were getting into the van and everything...




Never seen anything like this...and down along the river, I saw a lot of monarch butterflies fluttering by...Really awesome experience!

In the morning I drove over the dam to see the lake...and saw TONS more Franklin's Gulls...



chattering Franklin's Gulls

we don't see these back east..

Then continued  East to the Flint Hills Region of Kansas. 


More on that next post....


PEACE
Every day is a new Adventure.

10 comments:

  1. Is this a migration that there were so many birds? Goodness there were so many and it looked so fabulous. I had never seen the likes of all those butterflies either wonder what they could be getting off the tree. Just a beautiful sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's a staging area in prep for migrating probably to one coast or the other..I checked recent ebird lists from this area and one person said 8,000 and I believe his guess was way more accurate than my 2,000. The butterflies had me stumped all I hope Jennifer of Common Milkweed
      comes by she is what I consider a butterfly expert and maybe can she shed light on it.
      http://thecommonmilkweed.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  2. That butterfly tree is absolutely incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI JEN!! It was an amazing sight. And it was not just one tree I noticed when I walked across the campground to the bathhouse (which was closed for the season) there were more trees covered with butterflies!

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic spot you picked, the photo of the Peregrine is brilliant! I've seen butterflies like that on documentaries, it must have been amazing to see them like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at first in shock I have never witnessed such a thing...then sitting there watching them such so enchanting...if I walked close by they would all take at once it was dazzling.

      Delete
  4. The peregrine was a good spot. I worked in an office tower block and peregrines used it as a roost and would swoop down on passing pigeons. It was great to watch them that close.
    A good mechanic is worth their weight in gold and a garage that uses genuine parts. Your van is essential for your quality of life.
    By the way did I tell you that I bought an Amazon Fire too, they are good value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy my Amazon Fire when traveling so much on this trip, it is hard to type on...since I must use a stylist...but for just checking up on email and looking up info and keeping up with my son's postings on FB it is super. AND it does take good photos if you have a steady hand.
      You are so right about the mechanic. MY sister has a GREAT mechanic there in Silt, CO where she lives. The place here I use the story is this: The garage is located directly across the street from where I had my Upholstery business for 13 years! SO I had a very good relationship with the owner...and I closed my shop in 2001, the owner of the garage retired when I was in living in NY and his son took over so now it's all about making money, volume, and not the quality of the work. Sad to learn this, I think I will continue to go there but demand better quality!

      Delete
  5. Those butterflies!!! Wow and double wow. Fabulous birds as well and good for you for taking the backroads. We didn't mind Kansas when we RVd through it (more than once) but I can't say as it was ever at the top of my 'I want to go back' list .... but now it is because we sure didn't visit this great area. (Sigh, it is on my list, but .... so many places, so little time :((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about the time, we won't have enough!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!