Friday, May 8, 2015

The Latest from DixxeLand!


FINALLY got the finish on the Living room and Kitchen floors...Let me tell you it was a MoFo!
Y'all always are so nice telling me how clever and handy I am but truthfully I should NOT have even tried this floor project BUT I got an estimate from a "professional" and he wanted $720 just to sand it and ME do the finish so I said NADA..I ended up renting a SECOND sander to fix the mess I made with the first sander, I had to drive to a Home Depot one that has a tool rental section and rent a random orbiter sander which was also a MoFo but it did not make gouge marks on the floor. So enough whining, here is the finish I went with a semi gloss before these floors were satin and I wanted some Bling so here it is..
Just ignore that bath tub...it's on the list down there somewhere under REPLUMB the entire Bathroom


the middle of this floor has some patching too where an old flue was once in place but the kitchen had never been sanded...it had always been linoleum. 


Not too bad consider the age and MY not so hot sanding ability...

                       

Since its a 3 coat thing with overnight drying it took me a week to get that done...and I moved the stuff I had moved into the dining room out and started on that.



Dang this area where I fixed rot looks pretty bad, I think the rot on the tips of these boards took the color a bit deeper, I hope an area rug will defuse this enough so it won't look quite this bad!

   
                                 floors 011

Got this first coat on...this photo is a bit crooked...I had sticky fingers by this point..

                    
That black mark is some kind of ink or glue stain from long ago I couldnt get it out so it's what we call "character"
Another project off the list is the light fixture in the Bar room...I've had this fixture for years used it as a swag light over the old counter, I found these really cool mid century glass globes and decided to use it with this fixture...I like it!

bar room light fixture                   light fixture

                
                             Still need to run a bead of caulk  around it I see nothing is ever really FINISHED there is always one little something I forgot to do...

AND here is something I fretted over for a while...when the leak was still leaking it made a mess of the ceiling tile in the dining room...I took down the ones that were moldy and tossed 'em 

                     
I saved a few when I took down the ones in the Kitchen before we put up sheetrock and was able to patch them in,,,,it didnt work too well and I had none that didnt suffer some damage, But I kept trying and I think now its passable! I was NOT in the mood to do yet another big job -another ceiling-
                                  NOW don't look too close or you'll see the flaws--


Tomorrow's Mothers Day Happy Day to all of you, you know who you are, MOM got long stem Roses, not from me I've always felt buying cut flowers is a complete waste of money! I prefer to pick wild flowers but I'll spare her the ragweed bouquet this yr since she has those long stem babies instead! My son and I  are taking her out to eat and we're flying my Bush Plane....


                         

PEACE
Eleanor Roosevelt: You must do the thing you think you can not.

12 comments:

  1. That floor is mind-boggling gorgeous, girl. Only you will notice any flaw. If it makes you feel better, the Navajo people believe that every project, i.e. rug, should have a mistake to show that they are not perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must be part Navajo...thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  2. Yes the floors are beautiful and another one I heard is a flaw will let out the evil, so enjoy and Please make sure you buckle up before you fly off in your bush plane.

    HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Happy Mothers Day to you also...I love that little plane on a windy day it gets a work out.

      Delete
  3. It looks good. And hope that's all the sanding for awhile... Hard on hands and arms (I've done that I know). Nobody else but you would notice the 'flaws'. Remember Leonard Cohen sang" there is a crack in everything ... That's how the light gets through ..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the sweet potato Fries along with a salad and some great bread stix! Pretty good eats and a Margarita!

      Delete
  4. I love that plane! I need to show it to my dad, he builds all kinds of whirly-gigs and things. The floors look fantastic from here, as does the ceiling. My floors need to be sanded and coated but the whole process terrifies me (and your post keeps that fear going!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your dad could make these planes in a JIF...doesnt look complicated...
      If your floors are only scuffed you can lightly sand over it by hand...then put on a new coat of poly! I really cold have done that too---live and learn.

      Delete
  5. Hey Girl... Darn you sure do some hard work, one would never know you had those wrist injuries not that long ago.
    The floors look great. I am one who doesn't care for satin finish. bring on the blink ;}
    Good idea for a change up on the light fixture, it looks great.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Grace, going on the 2 year mark now with my injury you should see me at night ice packs, ace bandages, moans and groans, just because it hurts I can't just stop trying...I can't do a lot of things correctly but Im the queen of improvising!
      STILL I can't type with my left hand !! IT won't lay flat unless I put my elbow out like a chicken wing and then I can only do that for a couple seconds and It hurts like crazy--now my right hand has carpal tunnel from over using it where it takes up the slack for my weak left hand...I have a DR apt tomorrow for my What I plan will be my last follow up nothing can be done it is what it is! I continue to make the best of what I can do.

      Delete
  6. Awesome progress Sondra. be honest, have you slid across that floor in your socks yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA I can just see me trying that I'd fall and break another bone..lol

      Delete

Comments are appreciated!