Wednesday, January 7, 2015
I'm not much on getting out in cold weather we have an Arctic Blast on the way our low tonight is expected to be 14! Homeless shelters are open and the cots are ready...meanwhile since I'm not outside with my camera right now..I'll show you another project I've worked on last fall...
I didn't really take many "before" photos of this area because I had started moving things around but here is a kinda shot of the floor in the kitchen...lower left of this photo
Make notice in this shot above the right of the fireplace...it was once a window, then became a shelf unit, and you saw I've turned it into a french door opening...(my last post) see how much light it brings in? And that's the other french door (open) I told you it would be stripped and put back in this same spot..I'm planning to start that project later this week if the Lord is willin' and the creeks don't rise lol.
now let me update you on the history of this house. It was built in the 1950's as best we know, it was located on the West end of town...in 1977 we purchased this house it was slated to be demolished because a Wendy's Restaurant purchased the lot it was on. We knew about the house because My MOM had been renting it!! So this house has a long history with our family. We moved it 18 miles! NOT us but a house moving company..My husband and I removed some walls and did a 1970's update...so this kitchen floor was vinyl, and under that another layer of vinyl, then a layer of 12 in" tile and under that a layer of 1/4" underlayment and UNDER that some old red linoleum AND under that pine wood floor planks! DO any of you watch Nicole Curtis's show Rehab Addict? Well its her fault I decided to take all that stuff off the kitchen floor and make it a wood floor again...BUT when I took up that last layer of 50's red linoleum there was this black paper backing stuck to the floor its not just paper it had like a tar paper backing! UGGHHH I guess that is how they made it water proof!
In this photo you can see the breakfast bar and the dishwasher and a floor cabinet have been removed...and all the vinyl, tile, underlayment, and linoleum, GONE! And you see the black mess! It wouldn't sweep off, it wouldn't scrape off, thought of blasting it off with TNT finally realized it could be sanded off!! hooray.
So I sanded 1 sq ft or so... each day for about 6 weeks!
and finally it was all removed So I learned about sandpaper...36 grit is what I used to cut this with its the toughest grit I could buy for my 3 x 21 sander a belt sander...so the higher the number of sand paper the finer job it will do..lower the number the tougher it is. So now you know too in case you didn't!!
It was a hard job!! THE Hardest part for me was wearing that darn dust mask....I do not like to use one but absolutely had to...my glasses fog up while Im wearing this type mask...
I will rent one of those big drum sanders and run it over all the floors in the main area probably use an 80 grit first then a 100 grit to give A fine finish TO all the floors and finish them at the same time so it will be one of the last projects to get done! If you recall long back I posted about the work on the dining room floor..blogged about it in Jan of 2013 its about the same condition as this floor and I put in a new floor in that little sun room I'm currently working on...so when it all comes together will sand the wood to about the same tones all over....As you can see there was an old chimney flu in this area, and a wall with doorway...I had to fill in wood to close that in.. stole that out of the BATHROOM it was pine wood too...but that's another post!
I didn't have refurbish an 1800 sq ft house mostly alone on my bucket list...but looks like it has moved to the top of the list! Tomorrow I'll tune into the Rehab Addict to see what she is up to now! She has a crew that does her work when she is off camera...I can only imagine what a luxury that must be!