Sunday, November 18, 2012

Our shrinking world...

These photos are not good but don't worry about that...lol, I didn't take them for photographic reasons...I was kinda agitated when I took these because this is a consumerism post.  I normally buy Maxwell House Coffee.  I save the containers for lots of various usages...like the one on the left I saved it a couple years ago...I keep a couple days of dry dog food in this one,  its handy right in the kitchen cabinet.  Its refilled from the larger storage bin that is kept out on the porch.  But this is not a post about the dogs and their food, its about the unfair treatment of us, THE US consumer.


The container has been engineered to look about the same and without this comparison from a couple yrs back you probably wouldn't notice but its very clear here the container is much smaller! SO much that in fact it holds 11 oz less.


The container on the left is marked as 39 oz. I recall I used to pay $6.99 for this size container...I bought enough of it that I'm certain of that price.  Now the container on the right is the one I bought last week.  It holds 28 oz and it cost me $9.99  The amount of coffee I get has shrunk by 11 oz, and the price I pay has gone up by $3. AND thats the cheap one, if I want robust bold taste (one that actually taste like good coffee, I have to pay $11.99) SO I guess my question is what's it gonna look like this time next yr? Think I'll keep this container just for S & G and so I can compare it to whats to come!

Coffee prices
from the web

I read that Kraft Foods that sells Maxwell House coffee had earnings of close to

Yo Randy this is why we (American workers) cant pick peppers for 65 cents a bushel....





PEACE

19 comments:

  1. Yes, they are tricky. I noticed it with our yogurt containers up here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is frustrating! Recall that old saying 'you get what you pay for?' Not anymore!

      Delete
  2. HI Sondra...My daughter and I both use Maxwell House and have the same pet peeve as you do!! I would have kept more of the old containers if I and known to...make great scoopers!! I pay $7.99 at Walmart, that is depending on the blend of course!! My coffee of chose is French Roast!!
    Even the suet cakes have gotten smaller..they don't fill out the suet container anymore! grrrrr!
    I sure do smell what your stepping in, and I don't like the smell, I think it is a rat!!!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I noticed the suet cake is not as fat as it was once and the used to be an even dollar, now they are a $1.25

      Delete
  3. Big businesses are ripping us all of Sondra, all over the world.
    The lure of money, at the cost of us all and the environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, Im so tired of Captialist Greed, makes me wonder what kind of world this will become.

      Delete
  4. Sondra, I have to confirm that this is not just the US issue. Here it was most prominent by cookies whose weight has been diminishing and price growing but of course this isn't just about cookies. As Keith has expressed it aptly, the lure of money at the cost of us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petra, it doesn't surprise me that its a world wide issue. I also noticed cookies are much smaller, so are chocolate bars!

      Delete
  5. As Keith indicated, we are being ripped off too Sondra. I have particularly noticed, during the recession, that we are getting less of a product for the same, or as you noticed more, money. They must think we are stupid enough not to notice!

    I enjoyed your quiet Sunday post too. The photo of the lake was beautiful and I loved the little House Sparrows too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAH I do believe they think themselves smarter than the consumers they are pulling the wool over on!

      Delete
  6. Yikes! That's a graphic illustration of what I have realized too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One picture is worth a thousand words right..

      Delete
  7. My pet peeve is paper plates. They keep getting smaller, 1/8 inch at a time. At some point, they will be 1" in diameter, and they'll think we don't notice because they did it gradually....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed that too, and they are so Flimsy, they sag and dont support the food!

      Delete
  8. Sondra, I have also noticed this reduction in size but increase in price not only in coffee but other food items. Reading the labels is a MUST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering where do we draw the line in the sand? IT pisses me off!

      Delete
  9. We suffer from the same thing over here in the UK Sondra. Chocolate bars are a particular favourite for shrinkage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall when we were kids a baby ruth candy bar was HUGE...and cost a quarter...NOW its small and its over a Dollar a piece!

      Delete
  10. It's happening here as well. In fact there was a bit on a news show about this showing comparisons between before and now. Even the loaves of bread have gotten smaller.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated!