Tuesday, March 29, 2011

WBW 19-The Night Show

A show was put on Just for ME!...
I went out on the night of the Perigee Moon--hoping for a great shot of it hanging over Goodale Lake about 4 miles from my home in Kershaw County, SC.  Got there in plenty of time, set up to wait - the mosquitos came out, the clouds swept in, and the star of the show, MY Moon, was in hiding...but the show Must Go On, right?
I swatted, cursed a bit... kept hoping the clouds would part and I would see that Moon....



The water was calm and threw up some terrific reflections of the trees ...Soon a few Geese that had been quietly grazing on green shoots along the waters edge were startled into flight by a squadron of dark squaking shapes that filled the sky over me--it was like an invasion it happened so suddenly---hundreds of Double Crested Coromorants coming in to roost for the night!

Phalacrocorax auritus

this video kinda sux ...But I tried--and this was the result...turn up the volume so you can hear them---




My camera has a noisey zoom on it---in the low light dark shapes dotted the trees,  literally hundreds of them---and somehow they made a very orderly "check-in" as each found a suitable branch on a Bald Cypress Tree to bed down on---


The silhouettes were kinda cool--the sound was deafening as they all chattered at once!


Then they grew quiet and still as they waited...and watched


The last bit of Sun crept ever lower, the air cooled almost instantly as the deep blue of twlight settled over the lake-and over the coromorants, and over me!



Even the mosquitos went to bed and so I folded the tripod and went home--with a great feeling inside--I came to see the Moon, what I saw was one of the greatest shows on Earth!!

Visit the World Bird Wednesday for other wonderful adventures in Nature around the World!

CLICK THIS PICTURE!

PEACE

31 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos - especially the first one. It must have been a great sight to see so many birds come in to roost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sondra...Just amazingly unbelievable what you captured here! A sight you couldn't have sought out to see!!
    Love the deep blues,reflections, and the way the birds photographed!!
    Very Nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the silhouettes of the Coromorants against the twilight sky but WOW, awesome reflections! :)
    Sounds like you had a wonderful experience.

    Thanks for your visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's lovely! Your words to describe the scene really made the post beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tour Sondra. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Sondra -- There are a lot of shots of that moon around on the different blogs, but your shots of that night are unique. I can just imagine the noise (I'll have to come back for the video, some other person here in our tiny house has the TV on ;>) That is a wonderful silhouette picture. I guess the birds were affected by that strange moon, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots - but you can keep those birds there and away from my fish. They are deadly on our trout. But you sure were at the right place at the right time to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great set of pictures - I think birds coming in to roost is a really intersting thing to watch.

    Cheers - Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so incredibly amazing and beautiful!
    From your description and photos I felt like I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This so cool! I like it when I go for something specific and then I get something different that I haven't thought of. Great photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sondra. If I hadn't seen the pictures, the sounds were so similar to skiens of Geese arriving at their nightime roost. I really enjoy this kind of wildlife encounter. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooooooooo! I love that top image of the trees, so sharp and graphical, great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The night show indeed! These scenes you have captured seem Jurrasic to me. I could easily imagine a Brontasaurus lumbering in.
    You handeled that twilight wonderfully. The first shot, pre-cormorants, is crazy good.
    Such are the rewards for having the gumption to get out in the wild. If you wanna know, you gotta go. Fantastic Sondra! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great stuff! I have never seen that many cormorants at one time. I wonder where they go here at night?

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great set of images. The silhouettes images are beautiful.
    Well captured.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful! Nothing like some peaceful time spent with nature. Those photos are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful series of shots! I've only seen one coromorant at the pond! Wow, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely atmospheric photo - and video!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that is a great experience. And you captured it well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing sight! Your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these images. Cormorants are fascinating to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Outstanding landscape/birdscape shots, Sondra, particularly the first one with the bulbous roots of teh cypresses mirrored in the water. Love the shot with the backlit four cormorants. Are they having a conversation?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved your pictures. Learned something too as I didn't realize that cormorants roosted like that ... like crows!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A fantastic sight you captured Sondra.
    Must have been amazing to witness it all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OH MY! This was major outstanding!!!
    Sondra...your photos and info is tops!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful photos and scenery! Cool shots of the Cormorants

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a truly amazing sight to see!Glad you stuck it out & shared with us!phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  28. Incredible captures.
    The silhouettes so well framed.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really great captures.. Thanks for sharing these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Whoa! You may have gone to see the Moon Sondra but for me it was no contest :) What an amazing experience! Such lovely photos and the video really brought it home (excuse the pun) I remember the first time I saw Cormorants in trees (on a much smaller scale) I was struck by how comical and ungainly they looked!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What an amazing scenery. The top shot is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!