Tuesday, January 18, 2011

WBW-9 Even A Hermit Eats Out!

I've already shown in the previous posts the Red bellied woodpecker, the Downy woodpecker, Northern Cardinals and the Blue Jays that were drawn to the feeders here in upstate Greenville, SC when the SNOW came so this post will continue with some of the other birds that I saw.  One thing some people may not be aware of is that Eastern Bluebirds will & do eat at feeders!!
 I saw as many as 5 bluebirds out there waiting to get at it...an entire family-you know bluebirds live in small family groups and they share everything with each other..the young will help raise the next brood and so on--



The seed mix is 3-D Pet Products Nuts N Berry and its available in Walmart and probably other places like Wild Birds Unlimited!  They seem to pick out the shelled pumpkin seeds, the dried raisins and the dried cranberries as well as maybe the pistachios in the seed mix.  The other thing in there are the soft, small, and pea sized suet pellets.



SO I went to Walmart yesterday to get some for my house--came home and realized I FORGOT to get it...can we say scatterbrained???  SO next time
Here is yet another this looks to be the female--



This was a surprise to me to see the Hermit Thrush come to the feeder!! I'm not sure what seed he was after but It was from that same mix, it has all kinds of seeds n nuts n dried berry I didnt see what he was picking up but he came around everyday!  Love this spindly pink legs and his perfect little feet- not to mention those brown throat stripes!



Here he is giving a Dark Eyed Junco the stink eye..



He was giving me a quick glance backwards...



Such a beautiful bird I just couldn't get enough of him!  Notice the eye ring--





I am saving the rest of the birds that came to visit for the next series of World Bird Wednesday, please click this icon to go and take a look at other  photographs taken by people who love BIRDS of the WORLD

25 comments:

  1. I'm so envious! Love the bird-feeder shots. Your visitors pretty much make the snow worthwhile! We used to have Junkos on our feeders back in Oregon (when we owned a 'regular' house). Then they were called Oregon Juncos, a slightly different variety.

    But it is the bluebirds that are turning me green with envy. We've seen both the western and eastern in our travels -- but NEVER on our own feeders and never such good views -- they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those Bluebirds are stunning.
    A great seed mix, it seems to have everything in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnificent bird photos. Did you add glue to the landing zone so they pose so nicely? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Dark-eyed Junco occasionally makes it across the Atlantic (storm winds?) to the UK and really gets our Twitchers(fanatics)going. Lovely birds

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very interesting mix of ingredients in the bird see mix. It certainly seems to have something for all tastes! I really like the photos of the Bluebirds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous mix of birds at your feeder, you're clearly doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots of a great variety!Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant photos. We have Song and Mistle Thrushes in the UK but not Hermit Thrushes. Love the Bluebirds. So colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photos Dixxe, those Bluebirds are so colourful! The Hermit Thrush reminds me of our Song Thrush by its markings but our Robin by its shape and stance. It sounds like you have found a very good seed mix!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful shots,, Dixxie! I envy you. I love the hermit thrush, also the bluebirds! All I am getting is juncos, chickadees and house finches. There are still some bluebirds around in NE but the hermit thrush has migrated to warmer climes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great afternoon light on the hermit thrush looking over his shoulder at you. I do so love the bluebirds. We have only a few birds with blue feathers, mainly the blue wrens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got some amazing shots! I use that seed from Wal-Mart too. And your post just reminded me that I forgot to pick it up when I was there less than an hour ago. Guess I'm going back tomorrow! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Dixxe, Thank you for visiting Amish Online!!
    Your photos are breathtaking!!
    I am in awe! ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I should try this. The western bluebirds are around in the open areas but they sure haven't come near my feeder. There may be more insects around, though as ours is a bit more temperate climate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice close-ups! Great colors and details on that bluebird!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dixxe,
    I think you are personally responsible for sales spike in Walmarts birdseed! If I could get Bluebirds and conceivably some Waxwings coming into the feeders to eat the dried fruit mix that would be exciting. I'm on the way!
    Your pictures are magnificent in their detail! ;-)WBW

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH My Gosh!!! Eastern Bluebirds are a fave. I am very jealous of them visiting you...dang it. OK...a trip to Walmart is in order to buy that seed mix. Outstanding photos of the beauties.:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. More gorgeous bird pictures! And that seed mix looks good enough for ME to eat! We don't get much variety on our feeders. The most interesting are the verdin on the hummingbird feeder and (I think) an orange-crowned warbler on the suet. We also have an unidentifiable one that just checks out the area. It looks like a sparrow, but with a little black pointy beak. I'm stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous photos!
    I didn't know Bluebirds live in families, wow :)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful series - love the hermit thrush!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful shots. The blue birds are beautiful. I must keep an eye out for that seed mix.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the top shot, they are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do so love all your birds.

    RYN: Nope, that's a landscape in Middle to Northern California on the 101.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post Dixxe! Bluebirds, of course, are my favorite passerine and you have done a beautiful job with them. The Hermit Thrush is another excellent yard bird. Are you doing the Great Backyard Bird Count? You should, it's lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the nice comments! Barb you got me wondering what that bird could be...with the black pointy beak--

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated!