Tuesday, January 11, 2011

WBW-8 Feeder Birds-USA-SC



BOY... I almost forgot about WBW since Im away from home...this post is a contribution to the meme about birds of the world, click the icon to see more posts of birds of the world...many birds are coming to the feeders due to the snow and IM snowed IN...(no snow plowing of secondary roads here in the south) so Ive been watching the birds at the feeders and here's what Ive been seeing--
I posted some shots yesterday, and here's some more of the same birds..

We placed some seed on the deck rail to get them in a bit closer to a window to shoot thru..
And the Red Bellied Woodpecker came in for a snack...the rosy chest down feather is what gives these guys that name...no I didnt clean the window--its too cold to try that now!

Woodpeckers - Melanerpes carolinus

This Northern Cardinal shot is not so sharp shooting through a window is not the best thing...but this red bird as we call them had such brilliant color, I tried to sharpen it but over did it a wee bit...


Grosbeaks  - Cardinalis cardinalis

and here is the female, these birds mate for life....



 Blue Jays that came for the bread I threw down for the squirrels and then picked out some of the best seeds on the rail..


from Crows and Jays - Cyanocitta cristata

and a few more of the gang..



The Brown Thrasher with his striking yellow eyes was lurking nearby....

Thrushes and Thrashers- Toxostoma rufum


17 comments:

  1. Feeder birds are always welcome, and their bright colors really do brighten up these gloomy winter days.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful selection Dixxe, but I really like those Blue Jays. Wish we had them here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colours on these birds. I also love Blue Jays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't Blue Jays something? Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that ice clears out of there soon Dixxe. I've got snow coming down today and so I have been entranced with my yard birds too. Great detail and color on those Jays! ;-)WBW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a brown thrasher and a female cardinal today too, but they wouldn't stay still long enough for me to get a shot of them!

    Your shots are wonderful!

    What do you mean wash windows? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you are really taking care of them! Nice photos with great detail and color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy seeing the birds on the other side of the country. Even your jays are different than the ones here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice variety of birds visiting you there. Helped to brighten up a very grey and wet day here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! Sounds like being snowed in isn't so bad.. Love the thrasher! They are so cool-looking..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great birds and photos - especially the bird with the seed in its mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. a lovely set of birds. :)
    The cardianals are almost difficult to look at, the color is so strong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Blue Jays and the Cardinal female are my favourite. I always think of installing some feeder when winter comes and then I don't keep my promise as other things seem more important. But I find it so appealing to watch the birds coming...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very good selection of Southern Birdies. I am very happy to see the Brown Trasher. They are the state bird of GA. Aren't they cool to watch?
    I finally made it out today. Still alot of ice on the roads. Going to be very cold tonight. Stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All birds are gorgeous and have great colours to contrast with the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful shots of the Jays. Lovely birds you have there. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Red-bellied Woodpecker. You really caught it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated!