Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Lines on a page...

Art reflects life. I always enjoy creating from the bottom up. I love to draw but it has to come from inside...sit with pencil and begin. I have never sat before a sight and tried to draw it. Most of the time my art tells a story. There is always more behind the pencil than just lines connected on paper to create an image. Art reflects whats going on inside my spirit and soul. My drawing pad looks more like a scribble pad...I never did enjoy 'Painting' or adding color...too messy and took so much time, If I had a stuido maybe yes. But with no place to leave things out and having to clean up behind myself every time I painted I never really got into that. (my son did, and I cleaned up behind him..lol ) I did use acrylic pens at one time, and that was pretty easy, just put the pens away...but the pens are expensive as are oils and acrylics, and supplies. So I began to use software to complete my art/drawings. This one pictured here was inspired by my feelings or spiritual connection to Machu Picchu. I call this print the Lost Ponies of Machi Picchu. The main problems I had with this print was getting it to repeat, so it could be used for fabric designs. I did however after 3 weeks of work on this one print get it to repeat and it looks wonderful...its currently under consideration for development by Fabric Editions, I sent them some 2nd draft samples last week. So that drawing was the inspiration for my newest line called Chi Chi...(Chi Chi is the central market where all goods are brought to be swapped or sold in the villages of old like Machu Picchu) Here is the final draft of the Ponies of Machi Picchu.




For the color I went about creating my pallett of colors that jumped out at me many of which are new for me, like the purple...not a color Im comfortable with but it works very good here. I call it Regal due to the Royal-ness of it. The other lead pattern for his collection is the Masquerade. Masks were used/worn in ceremony in the Myan and Incan Civilizations.




"All rights belong to S. Hickman all artwork is the property of S.Hickman any reproduction or use is prohibited without permission or license."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated, and reciprocated!
However I delete comments that contain links or instructions to visit a site unless it directly relates to content of the blog it is posted on. In other words DONT SPAM MY COMMENTS SECTION!!